Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Shedding problems! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Shedding problems!
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are running a new print of Good Night and Good Luck. We are running it on a Christie PG35. It is shedding like a snowstorm. It started Sunday afternoon. I ran it 3 shows in a row using FG and the Kelmar cleaner. Shedding continues. The pads (Film-Tech) are getting black fast. Fortunately, it does not look bad on the screen.

The traps and tension bands are clean. I have the tension set at 2.

Anybody got any ideas for me to try? This is the only print we have that is shedding. This projector ran Elizabethtown for 2 weeks, and there was no shedding with it.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same problem here, but John said the print has a special wax coating, which is probably why there's so much powder coming off.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2005 06:25 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a print problem that has apparently occurred at most locations around Minneapolis playing this print. Assuming everything is within adjustment in your machine, it ought to be the fault of the film.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2005 07:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a B&W film...typically gates/traps with lack of edge lubrication are gonna shed. Note, we have the AFI/Silver running this print since its initial release and no shedding or noisey operation...delrin skates and runner strips.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-07-2005 08:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm away from the office this week, for my daughter's wedding this Saturday.

From the description, it sounds like the projector gate or intermittent sprocket shoe is severely scuffing the back side of the film. Edgewax can only go so far to provide additional lubrication on B&W print film, and mostly helps the emulsion side. Be sure the film contacting surfaces are all clean and free of anything that could abrade the film. Use the lowest tension that still gives a steady image. Additional film lubricant like Film-Guard usually helps. Delrin gates/shoes greatly reduce abrasion of the film -- I recall that Christie offered optional Delrin pad rollers and intermittent shoe:

http://www.christiedigital.com/files/Support/Bulletins/polyester_print.pdf

quote:
CHRISTIE INCORPORATED
10550 CAMDEN DR.
CYPRESS, CA 90630
(714) 236-8610

Technical Field Bulletin
for
Polyester Print Shedding
Date: 2/1/00 No.: FB111
Product : P35GPS/M35GPS
Problem : The “scuffing”, or incidental surface abrasion due to contact of the film
with the projector, can lead to “dusting” or “flaking” of some polyester film stock.
Recommendation:
The following steps can be taken to reduce/eliminate the “dusting” or
“flaking” of polyester film.
1. Make sure gate bands and shoe(s) are in good condition and free from any film
residue build-up. Any “nicked” or damaged surfaces should be replaced. Make
sure that tensions and clearances are set to recommended levels.
2. Delrin pad rollers (598931-762) are available to replace the older metal rollers.
3. A Delrin Ultramittent shoe assembly is available as a replacement for the
standard metal shoe (196362P001). It has visible wear safety indicators and
stainless steel protective runners and is easily installed on any model P35 or
M35 projector.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 07:52 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the comments. BUT, Is the base on this B/W film different from what the color stock uses? I've seen a little dusting in the past with color film, but have never seen what this does. The dust is allover the back of the lens, allover the intermittent, allover the trap, and the sprockets. As for the trap and bands, I clean them on every show. I suspected the lateral guides, but have ruled them out.

In the past, any shedding issues were stopped using FilmGuard. This is a first. This morning I will change the pads on the Kelmar cleaner, and see what we do today.

JP: Congratulations on the marriage! Best to your daughter and son-in-law!

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 04:45 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing here. We have two prints and we were shedding crazy on our PG35's on opening weekend. So far we applied FG seven times on one and five on the other. I was there this past Sunday and the shedding has minimized on one with the 7 apps and virtally none on the other.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to work this morning and ripped the projector apart and checked every inch of the film path. The bands were clean and had no build-up, or rough places on them. The trap has no build-up on it either. I checked out the intermittent shoe too. Nothing.

So, I replaced the black pads on the Kelmar cleaner, and re-soaked them in FilmGuard. First show, the cleaner showed some darkening, but there is no shedding now. The tension is still set at 2, and the screen image is rock steady. The 2nd show showed even less residue on the pads. The Kelmar cleaner was filthy and took awhile to get clean. It had a load of what looked like black mud on the rollers that come in contact with the film through the media roll.

The print is running tonight without the cleaner, as our night crew is not good at rewinding the cleaner between shows. I will check it out tomorrow and report back.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 08:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Christie projectors, the likely area causing the scuffing abrasion is the metal version of the Ultramittent shoe assembly. That's why they made a Delrin version available.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film this past weekend at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and the print looked and sounded as old as the story. Almost every frame was filled with what looked like was positive dirt, but I now realize must be shedding.

In addition, the soundtrack was full of noise, which surprised me because I was pretty sure it was presented in digital sound and I don't see how a dirty or shedding print could cause noise in a digital soundtrack. But maybe it was SR analog.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 09:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes at least 3 reports here of sound problems with this movie (Martin, Sam Graham, and me -- see the reviews forum).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2005 12:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple Martin, you saw it in analog. Any print that shedds badly WILL have it's digital tracks damaged (except usually dts) because the gate is being clogged with hardened deposits. So running it in analog, the "noise" you heard was dirt on the soundtrack.

There is a setting to adjust the clearance of the intermittent shoe on the Christie projectors. There is no need to go the delrin route...just align the shoe stop.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-09-2005 12:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
just align the shoe stop.

I used to align the shoe stop to where the shoe would retract in half way with the stop closed on the sprocket with film loaded.

-Monte

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 06:24 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I adjusted the intermittent shoe stop. No more shedding at all since Tuesday. I'm still running the cleaner, because the black crud is still coming off the print. I'll stop running the cleaner today and see what happens. At this point, I think this problem is solved.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-23-2006 03:38 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[ Was there another topic more suitable for issues with "Good Night and Good Luck (2005)"? The search finds a topic so-titled, but clicking on it returns "You have requested a topic that does not exist!" I seemed to remember one, though...]

We finally ran Good Night, and Good Luck this weekend, and we ended up with two prints from Swank (via TES. Swank\#0001 and Swank\#0007). Both were pretty bad, and I have to assume this has something to do with the Kodak 2302 stock -related issues.

We run a fair number of Swank films (including, sadly, these occasional "Swank prints" of WB films that WB has given over to Swank and which Swank contracts out to TES to handle distribution of, all to avoid giving non-theatricals ETS prints. I suppose it's a mechanism to segregate the prints, but for us it tends to result in worse prints than we would otherwise see, as well as making it much harder to get quality replacements), but rarely are the prints this bad. That coupled with the my suspicion that this title was not the most popular of bookings and recollections of discussions on FT leaves me with the feeling it was substantially more damage-prone than most.

In our case, both prints were characterized by two kinds of damage. Vertical black base-side scratches and almost-hook-like damage extending from the perfs into the SRD area, in some cases impinging more than half-way through into the SRD block. Furthermore, even the DTS timecode was intermittant and troublesome!

We did see substantial shedding on our Century C's (2K lamps; no FilmGuard) with this print. Since we're a university (second-run venue) and rarely see new prints, it's extremely rare we see shedding at all. I found it necessary to clean the trap and the intermittant sprocket between reels (running changeover). We also found PTRs removed quite a significant amount of particulate matter, enough to justify cleaning PTRs after each reel (rather than every 2 shows -- 1/night -- as usual). Dirt was primarily removed from the SDDS areas (as you might expect).

While I can certainly see how the shedding issues could lead to damaged SDDS and even SRD tracks, I wonder how they might be more inclined to lead to damage in the image area (vertical scratches). Is there some vector I'm just not thinking of?

Is it possible there was some sort of misprocessing of the 2302? I know that in the FITA topic Good Night and Good Luck, John P. notes various heat-related issues, and that the print was subject to RP151 edgewaxing. Is the edgewaxing responsible for the shedding in the perforation area? [I would not think the wax would migrate in that far?]

Similarly, I wonder, what would it have taken for WIP to have produced 2383 (or 2393) prints of this? While they might not look quite as good pristine, I have to wonder if they would not have held up better, such that a 6-month old print would look a lot better (it could hardly have been worse).

Would it have been necessary to strike new intermediate elements, or could color prints have been made from the existing internegatives? (I see from Kokak's datasheets that 2302 and 2382 have different trim/tape values, esp. that they are uniform for 2302 whereas 2383 has a blue bias.)

According to the Box Office Mojo statistics, Good Night, and Good Luck had a relatively slow widening (at least, by comparison to many films these days):

quote:

Week 1: 011 theatres; Oct 7-9, 2005
Week 2: 068 theatres (+057); Oct 14-16, 2005
Week 3: 225 theatres (+157); Oct 21-23, 2005
Week 4: 272 theatres (+047); Oct 28-30, 2005
Week 5: 657 theatres (+385); Nov 4-6, 2005
Week 6: 668 theatres (+011); Nov 11-13, 2005
Week 7: 803 theatres (+135); Nov 18-20, 2005

One might think (naively, I guess) that there would have been time for the first hundred theatres to have given feedback to WIP that the prints were problematic, and time for them to decide to try 2383 instead. [Maybe they did?]

Is there a significant price difference between 2383 and 2302?

Hmm; quite a lot of questions here, I guess. Sorry to "wax" so much...

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: