Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Converting a theatre to a cinema

Author Topic: Converting a theatre to a cinema
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 06:44 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theres a old Black box style theatre in my town thats up for sale, the organigation is getting a new theatre built for them with 10 stories of condo's on top.. anyway the old location is a small theatre with 230 seats. The location is great, everyone in town knows were it is and its a busy reasturant area in the city (Little Italy). The question is would it be worth making into a movie theatre? A second run/art cinema? and what would be the best equipmnet for a small theatre like that? Minimum sound setup, a 35mm change over system...etc.. I can get hands on a 16mm 2000 watt projector package for cheap (under $1000 CND inculding splicer, extra blubs and reels) but what about 35mm? whats the best used setup and how much would it cost?

Any suggestions would be great

-paul

|  IP: Logged

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 11:04 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how much work you want to put in. If you want to monitor ebay, network with other industry professionals/collector's and check out auctions, then you could get by pretty cheap. You could always post a thread in the equipment wanted forum too. The other option is through a distributor but obviously you won't get nearly as good a price on equipment.

Projectors come up for sale on ebay all the time. As far as a sound unit goes, I bought an old Kelmar sound system off of ebay a year ago for $30. It included the amp, booth monitor and everything. The person I sold it to only used it temporarily until he got his sound system set up so it is available again if you are interested. We had the same unit at a stage theater that I worked at and we just had one subwoofer and horn on the stage. It sounded great and was plenty loud enough in that large theater. That unit is probably the most minimal you can go on sound. You can also usually pick up a platter on ebay or in the equipment for sale forum for a couple of hundred bucks.

So you could get by for as little as a grand or two. Again it all depends on how quickly you want it and how much time/work you can put in. If you are serious about it, now would be the time to start tracking down the equipment so you have some time to do it cheaper. [thumbsup]

[ 11-04-2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 12:04 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are planning to do this as a hobby, go for it. If you expect to make money with a single screen 230 seat theatre, think again. It will be a lot of work with little or no return.

If you are planning to run classic films, you MUST put in 35mm. It is what your audience will demand.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the plan goes ahead 35mm will be going in for sure, the space will also be used for concerts and hopefiully have a liquor license. But will see ... this will all be done on the cheap. 230 seats is small but then again how often is a second run theatre full anyway. I work part-time as a projectionist right now at a old 500 seat change over theatre, I think i've seen the place full maybe twice. A lot has to do with programming, word of mouth, and advertising.... but if you can live in the place to.. costs go down [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..plus, if you plan on the money return, I'd find a way to split that place to a twin with 80 seats on one side and 120 on the other...

could go the extra with double format of 16/35mm presentations-even go digital on the side as well with a small DLP projector..

..as with any self business: gotta spend the money to make the money if dead serious enough to want to make it a big go and not just a hobby that will hurt you in the long run-as what kills off most of the "indies" who run their business as a hobby.

-Monte

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it on the cheap Paul! That's the road to ruin. If you do a cheap compromised setup from day one...that is how it will be FOREVER, believe me!

What about setting up a not-for-profit community group, getting local investment and going for gold...

You can do some basic acoustical work, put in a good pair of reliable machines, great for this kind of application as you can do frequent programme changes and it's great for the prints as well.

Then you can do a good basic Dolby SR setup, L/C/R/S/SW, get the basics right, making sure you've enough light and go for a proper masked screen and allow yourself the ability to show the different aspect ratios.

Design in digital, you could start by allowing for hired-in gear initially, you basically allow for a "phantom projector" if you will in the booth, also leaving space in your racks, setting up the sound system so it's digital-ready, and so on.

It's really about saying you want to do it right no matter what, it extends to all aspects of the project...don't take my word for it, I've just finished reading a marvellous book on US cinema palaces...lots of community-run examples, they went for it, raised the money and did it right.

And sounds like you've hit the ground running - great location, nearby restaurants - what more could you want?

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 07:30 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brian,

I do want to get a fairly good Doldy SR setup maybe even DTS if i can. In regards to non-pofit community Orgs... its a no go.. I've worked for non-profit film co-ops and video Co-ops for 5 years now and the City/Province and Government rarely in ever gives out money for cinemas. You also then have to deal with a board of directors who may want to run the cinema there way. Theatre groups work well this way but not movie theatres.. Local investment on the other hand is a better idea.

Space for a digital system is a good idea, i'll have to have a closer look at the booth and see what kind of space I can save.

Cheers,

paul

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 01:42 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take some pictures.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 04:56 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any 'comunity' uses that could use the cinema during the daytime (for education etc.) or that could any other parts of the building?

Having these may allow more city/government funding (although possibly not as much as paid for conferences/shops)

Does the building have any conservation status which would reduce the redevelopment prospects?

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 07:04 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's lots of Community possiblities.. the video co-op and the film Co-op both don't have an offical theatre to screen their works. A large highschool (1700 kids) is not far from the place, the Italian community wants to have a Italian film festival... Also China town is just around the cornor and they don't have a theatre to screen their films.

The building in not historical and is zoned commerical

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: