Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor prints arriving a day early? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Technicolor prints arriving a day early?
Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 01:57 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else having that problem? This is the 3rd week that we have received a fax informing us our prints from Technicolor will be arriving on Wednesday instead of Thursday. So tonight we have 7 prints arriving with only one person scheduled to build and only 4 available to preview. Looks like they won't get all done tonight.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-05-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really dont see that as a problem at all. Thats actually what we all wished would happen more. Just have whoever is working tonight do as much as they can, and the Thursday crew can do the rest.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 02:09 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Technicolor switched it's delivery time's to Wed. now, instead of Thursdays. Can anyone confirm that?

Oh yeah, your not alone. I have 5 builds tonight/tomarrow and 5 tear downs. I like everything coming in on wednsday. I don't feel as rushed like I do on thursdays.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like it better on Wednesday's as well, but I just want comfirmation that this will become a regular thing so that we can schedule accordingly.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-05-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda, the word "problem" to describe this is sooooo wrong! Bite your tongue young lady!!!

Getting prints in on a Wednesday grants the theater staff to inspect, assemble and fully check them with enough time to secure a replacement reel if there are problems with the print, rather than to run a bad presentation on opening day as is the case with Thursday deliveries.

If your theater doesn't want to staff for Wednesday inspections, big deal. It won't hurt to let the cans sit in the booth overnight before they are opened. For everyone else, this is a HUGE benefit! [thumbsup]

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 03:12 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Amanda, the word "problem" to describe this is sooooo wrong! Bite your tongue young lady!!!

[Big Grin] [thumbsup]

I will say that this has been sorta a blessing in our theatre too. But for some reason ETS prints have had a problem showing. Last week WB decided to enforce a policy that has never been enforced, and our print of Dukes showed up 35mins before show time. Keep an Eye on You Suck Thread for more details once I get pics.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason I think it is a problem is that we don't know if it is going to be a weekly thing so it makes it hard to schedule accordingly. We have 5 managers and 6 shift managers (4 of which are part time 1 or 2 shifts only)

I like them coming in on Wednesday better. Thursdays nights can be stressful when you have building/previewing/tears/prints moves/poster and time changing in addition to the Thursday night reports (trailer report, film inspection, boards, dead film report) and the normal nightly inventory and room close.

Our ETS prints always arrive by 3pm on Wednesday which is good because it gives our matinee booth a chance to start building. I just feel sorry for our north side location because they are one of the last stops so they don't get their prints till late, we are one of the first stops because we are down the street from the depot.

The only 2 instances I've experienced with prints showing up so close to first show time was Napoleon Dynamite last summer and a few years ago Sweet Home Alabama. Both showed up 40 minutes prior to show time. Luckily no print damage.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-05-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when I have that problem. Personally I prefer it when prints arrive 5 minutes before the first show. Otherwise it is extremely inconvenient.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda,
Do you work for Carmike by any chance???

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 05:25 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the prints arriving early this week has something to do with the monster snow storm working its way across the west than anything else. Fourteen inches of snow in North Dakota right now.

After the 'Life Aquatic' fiasco this last Christmas when many prints didn't arrive in time for their playdates due to a blizzard in Ohio perhaps someone at technicolor is assigned to looked at the weather forecasts now.

Course I could be wrong and it could have nothing to do with that at all.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 06:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got that storm, or the edge of it. Interstate 94 closed all the way from MIles City MT to Bismarck, ND -- a distance of 300 miles. We only had about 4 inches of snow in Forsyth and it's mostly melted already, but I heard reports of 15 or more inches in towns around us. Our power was out from 4:30 AM to 9:30 AM today, and a guy on the radio said "If you live between Miles City and Bismarck and you have power, consider yourself lucky."

I was griping about the whole thing but then I thought about the Louisiana storms and this doesn't seem like so much.

Back on topic -- We were getting all our TES prints Wednesday for awhile, in fact they even called and asked if that would cause us a problem. Now, they usually come on Thursday.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 09:08 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have six prints opening this Friday. We got five of them in today. I have built 3 of them up already and will build the other three tomorrow. I like the Wednesday deliveries if it is the norm. The one we are waiting on is an orange can so I guess everything wasn't coming early.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-06-2005 01:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, I've got to do a "megaplex" build for tomorrow (thursday) at my 6 screener discount house. 12 movies - 6 up and 6 down (double play inning)... all by my little lonesome .. No whining coming from me..(LOL).

Looks like if TECH is delivering on Wednesdays now, circuits gonna have to plan on some rescheduling/re-adjustments for this new procedure to still do their builds/screenings.

Buthey, "booth clowns" haven't a clue on how to organize..

My Kudos to TECH on this - finally, they're getting their act together...(just wish that they quit mixing up the sides of those orange reels up where the spokes don't line up. I have to break apart the ones that are mixed up and match the correct sides up to hold the "HEAD" loop better..my little whine here..lol)

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 02:06 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
I heard Technicolor switched it's delivery time's to Wed. now, instead of Thursdays. Can anyone confirm that?
Confirmed.

I also agree that this is a great advantage for any theater who cares about their presentation as replacement reels will arrive before Monday now.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
The one we are waiting on is an orange can so I guess everything wasn't coming early.

Let me guess you are waiting on "Waiting"? That is the only print that didn't show up this evening. My build guy was able to get 4 prints built and I was able to get one built before I had to take over floor for the matinee manager.

Allison to answer your question, no I do not work for Carmike. I work for Kerasotes Theatres.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: