Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New DTS 6, 6D DVD Drive Upgrade Kit

Author Topic: New DTS 6, 6D DVD Drive Upgrade Kit
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone on this forum installed any of the new type upgrade kits that use IDE type DVD drives with a SCSI bridge on the back of each drive? I just did one and none of the drives function. I can get drive 1 to work sometimes but not all the time. Oddly the old drives work just fine with the new cards.....

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-03-2005 03:58 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen one, but I'm assuming this SCSI bridge has a SCSI ID setting on it (that might not be set).

Does drive 1 work consistently if you disconnect all of the other drives?

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got some of those in not too long ago, but before I could even put one of em in, DTS is called in a tizzy telling me they wouldn't work and made me send them right back. I think they had some really nice Sony drives on them too.

But yeah, you might want to check the jumpers on each drive to make sure they are assigned in the proper order.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This gets more interesting by the hour.... We had a 2nd kit in our stock aand I had my boss install it in another 6D... same problem! The unit I AAM working on is in Rock Springs, WY.... Only on occasaion w0ould I get the #1 drive to work at all.... I plpaced the original 32X TEAC'S back in and it now works fine.... some dork in Denver haada this unit set up for 16X drives... old ROMDOS B on the AQUTEK board and the ROMDOS chip still in place on the TC board.... doesn't work well with 32X drives... I did get through to DTS and she asked us to send the unit back to them so they can look into it. BTW... The drives I got were ASUS and the bridge cards are by ACARD... yes the jumpers were set properly. They obviously have some problems with this new kit to work out before it will work. The benefit is being able to use any cheapo DVD drive....

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-03-2005 11:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It maybe the adaptec card it needs to be a ultrawide scsi interface according to the story I heard

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-07-2005 01:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I don't remember the Adaptec card number in the kit as I left it and the AQUATEK card both installed in the 6D that was acting up. I will post what card it is when I get the unit back from DTS.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: