Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Quarantined print?

Author Topic: Quarantined print?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are running a print of "The Greatest Game Ever Played" that has stickers saying "Quarantined Print" on every reel.

WTF does this mean? The print is fine as far as I can tell.

(To answer the obvious question: Because our other, preferred booking fell through at the last minute and we had to scramble for leftovers.)

|  IP: Logged

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That print must have the bird flu...

I've never heard of a quarantined qrint.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-31-2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..might have to call TECH on this one. - Monte

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often times ... Technicolor will "save" a print at a "local" subcontracted depot (there is one in Atlanta) ... so it doesn't have to get shipped back to Ohio ... then to the other ... could sitting at the sub-depot be defined as being "quarantined"?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2005 09:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That'd make sense if the "quarantine" label was on the outside of the cans -- but this is small stickers on the leader of each reel.

I don't think it's bird flu. I don't feel sick, at least.... well, not very. (quoting Barney Fife there.)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-01-2005 05:47 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could also mean the print was returned with suspected damage, and has not yet been inspected to determine the extent of the damage.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-01-2005 08:45 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a print labeled similarly for a pre release screening several years ago. It came with a sheet that said it was not to be cut in any way and that damage of any kind could result in our never getting a film from that studio again. It looked much better that the typical release print. The screening was private for about 150 people about 6 weeks befor the opening date. Don't remember the name of the picture, just the commotion surrounding the event. Seems to me that the print we got had a title different from the release though everybody what it would be.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a first generation showprint of a film with the bogus pre-release title on a special title card.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-01-2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No...the title is correct, and printed on the leaders like any other film.

I tend to go with John P's explanation. But, if that is the case, why did it go out the door again?

Next time I talk to TES I will ask them about it and report back.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-01-2005 11:32 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I've had prints that were used in overseas screenings at film festivals that were quarantined by customs or other countries for content. They place tags on the leaders. I had one film last week that had stickers from the Ontario Film Review Board. It was their rating classification date and band number.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-02-2005 01:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote "I had one film last week that had stickers from the Ontario Film Review Board. It was their rating classification date and band number."

also you may find hotstamped into each reel is the certificate number if it was the print they screened

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2005 03:09 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by "hotstamped" do you mean embossed? i've seen several trailers with "ontario something-or-other" or "alberta something-or-other" embossed into the picture area. it's not usually noticeable on screen, but still a pretty cheesy idea, if you ask me.

carl

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-02-2005 08:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is embossed into the print It used to be ever reel shown had to be stamped

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: