Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » L/R & Centre sound mix

Author Topic: L/R & Centre sound mix
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been setting up my CP-50 and have noticed that there's almost no dialogue crosstalk in the surround channel but considerably more in the L/R channel, although the bias is toward the centre.

Do sound mixes generally put a reasonable amount of dialogue in the L/R as well as the centre or should I be getting minimal dialogue in the L/R speakers?

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 03:36 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model cat 150 do you have? Dolby level been set?

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the cat 150b. The dolby level has been set - as I say, the surrounds are working very well with no crosstalk now.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-30-2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no way of knowing how the film you are listening to was mixed, but the matrix encoding/decoding process only gives a partial separation between the centre channel and the left/right channels. If set up correctly, it should give almost total separation between the centre and surround channels.

The dialogue you are hearing in the L amd R channels may be there because:

a) the track was mixed that way.

b) the decoder is faulty.

c) you are just hearing the normal crosstalk between the C and the L/R channels which is inherrent in this system.

Or some combination of the above.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-30-2005 06:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves the 150b was about 25-30db seperation between channels

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-30-2005 09:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is correct. The later 150 cards had much improved steering. "Discrete" center only is on the later cards: d,e,f or maybe just e & f; the 150b was actually not very good in this regard. Remember the center channel actually doesn't exist in analogue; it is the sum of what is on left and right. The later cards supress the latent center on L/R. Louis

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2005 12:07 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, if film have good sound mix, do we hear dialogue from left and right channels, or just from center?

We are talking about CP-50.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-01-2005 06:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Cat 150 (any generation) should have enough steering that the Left and Right channels do not have any pronounced center channel information in them. While you might be able to hear it with a monitor just selected to Left and/or Right, when all three are playing, the Center should be so predominate that one shouldn't perceive the other two channels playing.

There was one (silly, in my opinion) thing called "draped dialogue" where dialogue was indeed placed in all three channels with the center being predominate. I don't recall it being used with SVA prints since I don't think the decoder could pull it off...however it was done on 70mm mixes.

Early Dolby Stereo decoders as used in the CP100 and early CP50s prior to the Cat 150 would indeed have all three channels playing at all times. These systems used a Cat. 110 for the CP50 (my memory escapes me on the CP100 but I think it was the Cat 82...I do recall you could use the cards interchangably though the CP100 card was metal clad).

This card merely boosted the center channel for summed information and reduced the center channel for non-summed to form a primative steering that was not at all convincing.

As an option, the Cat 116 could be added to the CP50 to decode the surrounds. The Cat 116 was also used in the SA1 through the SA3 for the CP100...though the suffix of the card changed with the card cages as the delay was moved onto the card itself.

With the Cat150, all of this changed. There was true steering of the sound and the surround decoder was now attached to the card for a composite card that did it all. The Cat 146 portion of the Cat 150 performed the L, C, R decoding.

The later cards, Cat150E and Cat150F are certainly better decoders and provide better steering to the sound.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So could it be a bad cat 150 that's causing noticable sound on the L/R then (as my surround doesn't have any bleed-through)?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2005 06:17 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,
Is the dialogue in the monitor, or is it very noticable in the theater. Are you being too picky and standing an inch from the Left and Right speaker, or can you actually tell from anywhere in the auditorium?

Rick

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-02-2005 01:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
steve said "There was one (silly, in my opinion) thing called "draped dialogue" where dialogue was indeed placed in all three channels with the center being predominate. I don't recall it being used with SVA prints since I don't think the decoder could pull it off...however it was done on 70mm mixes."
actually what they did was encode the dialogue with a 45 phase shift and the older decoders would smear it between the 3 stage channels

you are coorect the cp 100 was the pentoptical module cat 82 which was the same as a 110

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard,

It is hard not to be picky because it's in my small home theater. Although the focus is on the centre speaker, it's really noticable on the L/R - you don't have to be close to notice it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-02-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See if you can borrow a later model 150 card; pref an e or f or later model. As I said before, the B was not very good. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: