Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CCTV with IR in auditorium

Author Topic: CCTV with IR in auditorium
Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 05:11 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
I'm planning to have CCTV in the auditorium probably mounted at the screen end pointing back towards the audience, to 'supervise' the audience as we intend to have the auditorium licensed for alcohol consumption, and assume i'll need InfraRed lighting in order to be able to get a constant visible image, I also assume that because IR is out of the visible spectrum of humans no one will see the light, does anyone envisage any problems I may have using IR lights during the show?
Thanks in advance

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 05:51 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could arrange the red LED's around the walls in an artistic manner, a glow in the dark mural!!
There are also very low light video cameras to be considered. Don't forget to put up a sign advising patrons that the theatres are equipt with 'see in the dark' security cameras.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2005 07:30 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How tough would it be to make a light arrangement like that? Could you just wire them all up or would you need ICs and resistors and the like. Also, would shooting infrared light at the patrons for two hours pose any health threats?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-31-2005 09:46 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old video cameras that used saticon tubes which see infrared as well as it sees white light can be used to look at the seating area. They can probably be picked up for pittance on ebay, if they can be found at all. They were sometimes used in live theatre aimed at the stage so the stage manager would see what was going on when there was a black-out cue. I think there are IR lights that use brighter technology than LEDs -- halogen with IR filters perhaps?

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flooding something the size of a movie theater auditorium with IR is going to be a challenge. Most of the IR stuff out there is LED based and has a very narrow beamwidth and not a whole lotta output. They are mostly used for illuminating small areas like breezeways, entryways, etc. The big commerical stuff is gonna cost a fortune.

If you have any amount of lighting going on during the show (dimmed houselights, etc are fine) then a good high-grade B&W camera should do just fine. If it's bright enough for humans to see where they are going, then a B&W camera should be able to see as well. Color cameras won't work in any case, even with IR lighting. Just find a B&W camera with a really low lux level and you should be OK between the houselights and the screen reflection for lighting.

--Chris

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used these, and they work very well.
Hawk-I security cams

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-31-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also it may interferre with a IR based hearing impaired system

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: