Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I Finally Met The Booth Monster! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: I Finally Met The Booth Monster!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-27-2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It started out as a normal day.... a drive of about 35 miles to my service call... Stop at MacDonalds for a Cinnamon Roll and Diet Coke [beer] then the leiserly drive into the west Utah Desert area to this theatres location whom we will just refer to as "My Service call". I was to replace and adjist 12 lateral guide rollers and ruby balls in 6 Christie P35GP's as well as a dead fan in an Ashley power amp... and check on a few other things, all pretty basic stuff on "My Serice call". I arrived At "My Service Call" location unscathed by any of the ballistic heading insane Utah drivers and having enjoyed getting the Cinamon roll all over my shirt. I figured oh what the heck, I'll probably be getting dirty anyway working on these Christies! I get into the building and up to the booth and turn on some lighting when out of the corner of my eye I see what appears to be a snake going across the floor.... I switch on some more lighting and low and behold I meet the booth monster [Eek!] . Now in 25 years I've never ACTUALLY met a booth monster, ever! Here I was face to film with one and geez its nearing Halloween too... what to do... I approached it very, very carefully so as not to ruffle it too much and not to drive it onto some other complex form or shape after all this is a real monster that I've heard alot of stories about...... I happened to have my digital camera with and pulled it out ever so carefully so the monster retained its existing shape and wouldn't waver. Snap! I got its picture and what I captured is below [Roll Eyes] ! Now what to do with it......?

-

I thought I could just suck it up in the vacuum, but this just didn't work......... Clearly the little red shop vac was just not big enough for this monster.

-

So how did I get rid of it.... well, I called the theatre's head office and told them to send their dam manager over to deal with it. I had work to do!

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-27-2005 07:00 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know Mark, that 1st pic sorta reminds me of a scene from "The Blob" when it's in the projection booth and about to pounce on the projectionist... YIKES!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-27-2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea Phil,
Its a good thing the port glass was in that night! I fear someone down stairs in that auditorium woulda been hanged.

Mark

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yow...looks like the Attack of the Mutant Film! [Eek!]

Any chance the automation was a Christie CA21 with the early EEPROM version that, after a power glitch, ignored a dropped failsafe and allowed the film to mindlessly motor onto the floor?

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you'll need the 6k's & MUT.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-27-2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jon Miller
Any chance the automation was a Christie CA21
No not a CA-21.... Its the very worst there is... A Smart automation unit [Eek!] . And no I didn't sell or install it, I wouldn't ever put a customer though that much hassle. I think its visible in one of the photos... if not then you don't want to know....

Well, the cause is always a totally incompetant operator but there was another reason for it not shutting down...we can't
blame the incompetant operator 100% for this one...... but I'll peg them at 95% for sure!

The failsafe arms were stuck in the run position... Thank you Christie for selecting one piece of crap cue detector to sell and thank you SPECO for building it.... The cheap 25 cent bushings were siezed to their shaft! But there is more to the story...... Why on earth didn't it take up?

-

From looking at this photo its obvious that the incompetant operator didn't bother to take up the film slack when he/she/it threaded up.

-

Some people just don't belong in the booth! Heck, they didn't even look to see if the platter(S) were running and they had to walk right past it to go back down stairs.

I waited for a couple of hours and no one showed up to clean it up so I wound it back through the top projector feed roller and onto a platter ring using the mut for control... took only about 45 min... not a single snarl or pretzel problem, it just went right back where it came. Yhe more I thought about it the more I was afraid someone with scissors and splicer in hand would show up to make an arrempt to cut it apart and put it back in order... so I went ahead and took care of it myself.

Mark

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

You wound the print back on the platter in 45 minutes without any chopping and untangling? You are TRULY a FILM GOD!

Perhaps you can come to Illinois again the next time I accidentaly drop a print down the hatch from the #1 projection room. Thankfully, that hasn't happened since the first "Flintstones" movie.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2005 08:18 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That so-called "projectionist" needs to be hung by his nutsack with a noose made from the spilled film for not taking up the slack while threading up. [evil] [fu]

From the looks of things, I wouldn't be surprised if that numbnut's little filmic felony was aided and abetted by a show start timer. One more reason why timers are another one of those [bs] -y ideas to hit the booth, along with thoughtless operators.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2005 08:43 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
now, how hard is it to look at the platter and see the thing is not moving, really did they hire a blind projection.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-27-2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met the Booth Monster once. I was visiting my first theatre again after I had left and they said, "Hey, could you come upstairs and ... help with something really quick?" Since I wasn't technically employed with that chain at that point, I got kicked out of the booth by the manager when I was found helping them out.

I met Son of Booth Monster not too long ago, relatively. A newbie made an innocent mistake, but a VERY GUILTY lack double checking or paying attention for the subsequent two hours. Especially since the platters for that projector are OPERATOR SIDE!

Neither instance, I can guarantee you, was corrected in 45 minutes!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-27-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Harrison
Perhaps you can come to Illinois again the next time I accidentaly drop a print down the hatch from the #1 projection room. Thankfully, that hasn't happened since the first "Flintstones" movie.
Remember Bob, I told everyone back in Illinois last time I was there that if you want to visit you have to come out here... heck we have tall enough mountains here to dangle 12,000 feet of film from and just let it spin its own twists out..... Much easier and alot more scenic this way!!

Yea, it really only took about 45 minites to get it back on the deck but it was tail in on the ring. If I thought it would take me a long time I would definately left it for the manager to deal with. After it was back on the deck I free-wheeled the platter it was on and used two pulleys on the MUT to transfer it head in to the next deck down. Worked fine and took about another 30 min. Believe me dropping a print is much worse than this. This looks really bad... it is really bad.... but it all comes back up off the floor no tangles involved exactly the same way it gets laid down.

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-27-2005 09:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully that's "The Fog" and not something more cinematically important like "Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story". [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-27-2005 10:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably The Fog print that we're supposed to get tomorrow...we got a call today that it will be delayed until 4:30.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-27-2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy that photo brings back memories. Had that exact same thing happen many many moons ago. How long ago? The film was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Since it piled up nice and (relatively) neat, we were able to pull it all up onto 6K reels with a MUT without too much difficulty, and then build it back onto the platter. I think we cancelled one show. I don't even think the film (acetate) broke once.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2005 03:30 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had that happen to me last November during the opening "sold-out" weekend of "The Incredibles". My 2 year old son wandered into the booth and grabbed ahold of the bottom (take-up)platter deck. Once it stopped spinning it no longer interested him, so he left the room. His older brother decided he would tell me about it about 10 minutes after it happened.

We were able to disengage the drive motor from the platter and spin it on by hand, but it took a good 10-15 minutes. The show never stopped, and no one in the field ever knew anything was out of the ordinary.
Since then, my boys have learned NOT to cross the tape line on the floor to Daddys' office! [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: