Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AW-3 Dimensions

Author Topic: AW-3 Dimensions
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had the exact dimensions of the AW-3 platter system written down. We are trying to figure out if this badboy will fit into a chevy s-10 truck for hauling.

Thanks,
cody

|  IP: Logged

Charles Phillips
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Charles Phillips   Email Charles Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try the Christie website?
Christie AW3 spec sheet

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After dis-assembly - which you'll need to do to move it anyways, it will fit in a S-10 pickup bed. You'll need to remove the platters and the base. Cover the spindles in a couple of layers of plastic to protect them, and keep grease from getting on everything. Also be sure to properly pad the platters, with quilts or the the like to prevent damage.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-24-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, protect the platter decks being brushed alumimum and scratches easily..-Monte

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 11:28 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cody,

I have a full-size Chevy pick-up and a year ago I went to Chicago and I brought back two Aw-3 platter systems and the tree for another. I also fit three Aw-3 make-up tables, and a Kelmar rewind bench in there with them. You should have no problem getting it in. Just make sure you take it apart first like Jason said. You will pretty much have to anyways since it would be unmanageable otherwise.

I have a bedliner that has ridges in it which worked perfectly for holding the platters in place standing up. I used some Styrofoam between them and held them together with duct tape. The base comes off with just four bolts. I believe you will need a 9/16" socket with an extension arm to get far enough away from the base to turn it. Also make sure not to break any rollers like I did. They are expensive! [Eek!]

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2005 07:03 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all of your replies. I'm probably going to be picking this up in about 2 weeks. I'm excited. I've been going over the manaul so that I have all the tools needed :-).

Thanks again,
Cody

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be picking these up this Saturday and want to see if anyone has any recommendations for tools to take.

Looks like I will need 3/8" hex wrench for the base and a 1/4" for the slide bar. Any other suggestions?

According to the last post there are bolts? If there are bolts instead of hexes are they still 3/8".

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cody

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2005 01:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the slide bars are mounted with allen bolts, so take some allen wrenches. A flat head and phillips screwdriver would be handy too, so you can either remove the 3 takeup arms or you could bring some gaffer's tape and fold the 3 arms up against the tree.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-29-2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had some luck with putting the platter back together with the three decks in the back of a pickup truck. The "vee" of the bottom needs to face forward. Rope & bungee cords at the very bottom and then tied in a wye at about the center deck. No jack rabbit starts and keep it under 70 mph. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2005 04:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I always remove the V feet (it's only 4 bolts) and ship with the platter's tree laying on it's side. Since this will be going into your home, having the V feet seperate will make maneuvering easier too.

Whatever you do, take a big blanket and lay down in the bed before you place the platter in the truck, otherwise the platter tree will look like it's been through a war with all of the scraping on the paint. You will want to wrap the decks themselves ENTIRELY in blankets too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: