Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A universal kill switch

Author Topic: A universal kill switch
Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2005 01:51 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, some kid pulled a fire alarm in the lobby and shut the whole place down for twenty minutes. This happens a lot around here - either that or someone burns the popcorn and triggers the alarm. I'd say five or six times a year we get blasted by those sirens and blinking lights.

I work in a six screen house with three separate booths on three floors. When an alarm goes off, I have to run to each projector and shut it off manually. Of course, I'd rather not have to do this, especially if someday there really is a fire.

Can anyone recommend a system to kill all projectors simultaneously from any booth - ideally one that won't require running new wires: perhaps radio-controlled? It would make my life easier!

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be fairly simple and inexpensive with 3 12v relays and 3 momentary contact push buttons to wire up a remote shut down.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2005 03:53 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did one not so long ago. Very similar set up.

One high current relay breaks the projector motor, rectifier control circuit, and 'RUN' circuit of the Westrex tower.
Another smaller relay raises the house lights, and mutes the sound.

All done from one big red push button in the operators 'office'.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-23-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some automations have that feature already built-in. What kind of automation? Not the radio controlled part, but at least with wires. Look at those "X-10" wireless remote controls (www.x10.com) They are cheap and work fairly well, although I wouldn't trust my life with one.

Most places I know of require the projectors all shut down by law; Mass has very tough fire safety-related laws, so I am a little surprised you don't have this set-up.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-23-2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on your automation system...some offer an emergency stop or "Fire Stop" on the status panels (Strong's CNA series for instance...find any of those panels and have the fire alarm system provide a dry contact that closes when the alarm goes off...it will shut down the plex).

For automations that are not too sophisticated, we have the fire alarm company provide a "Dry contact via relay" and just wire across the "failsafe" so that the automation presumes that it is a film break.

However...a "Fire Stop" is normally a bit more elaborate than a standard film break...that is, the video/slide projector should not come on and the sound system should go to MUTE so as never to compete with the life saftey system.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 12:50 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Steve and John are right... Fire alarm test day is always a great day in any new construction... [Embarrassed]

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 12:56 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Walsh
Most places I know of require the projectors all shut down by law; Mass has very tough fire safety-related laws, so I am a little surprised you don't have this set-up.
Funny, the fire guys never mention this when they show up.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-24-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have something like this in Waltham. It shuts down the automations (TA-10) when the fire alarm goes off. I don't know if it mutes the sound or switches back to non-sync. We don't have slide projectors there, so that's not an issue. I've never personally been there when the fire alarm has been activated, but apparently the system works. There's no "kill switch" as such, however, unless you consider a fire alarm pull box to be a kill switch.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: