Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Do you need a silver screen for Spy Kids 3D ?

Author Topic: Do you need a silver screen for Spy Kids 3D ?
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2005 11:14 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched spy kids 3D on a white screen. Im using the typical red & green jelled glasses that came with the print,
I was not expecting much of a 3D effect but I must say my friends and I were very impressed.

I do not know what 3D technology this is. If watching the movie without the glasses it looks like 3 misconverged images. With the glasses it all comes together as one. The 3D effects were really great.

Would using a silver screen further enhance the experience?

Thanks!!!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-22-2005 11:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. The red & green process (anaglyphic 3D) does not depend on polarized light to separate the left and right images. So you don't need a metal screen, at least not for the 3D effect. For the typical polarized 3D you would need polarizers at the projector, a metal screen, and polarized viewing glasses (the kind where the lenses are grey in color).

As you saw, for anaglyphic 3D all you need is the red & green glasses.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-23-2005 03:10 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw that movie, so I'm not sure how impressive the anaglyphic 3D effects can get, but I can be sure that prolonged viewing through those glasses would be MUCH worse on the eyes than a polarized system, which can allow for a full spectrum of color. Anaglyphic is, effectively, a monochrome display, isn't it? And denying each eye a different band of the visible spectrum from each other is something the brain will try to compensate for, before long.

A silver screen is, indeed, not a necessary part of that projection, though the image brightness would be noticeably stronger (at least from a straight on view).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-23-2005 03:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..on a side note of this topic above - being the release of "Shark Boy and Lava Girl-in 3D", by the same (New Line) company, and I saw this on a "silver high contrast" screen with the anaglyph glasses.

This presentation was far better on this silver screen due to the higher contrast than with the regular white screen when we picked the print up for discount runs.

Granted, silver screens are so directional as mentioned above-looking good when viewing from the center of the screen instead of on the side where the light reflects straight back. - just like projection TV's as they look good from the front, but view them on the side, you can't hardly see the screen.

It all depends on the light output if the bulb is new, or old and focused correctly for maximum output. If any of these factors are not played in accordance for 3D viewing, the presentation can suffer slightly.

In my carbon arc days, we had to replace the mirrors with the red transparent mirrors to really get the light out when we ran 3D with the polarized, split lens, and anaglyph variety-and we had the silver screen at our palace.

thx-Monte

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-23-2005 05:10 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where were you sitting? You will not get the best 3-D effect if you sit too close to the screen.

Polarised 3-D is superior to anaglyph, but anaglyph often looks much worse than it needs to.

If you close one eye then blacks on the screen should appear truely black, on a coloured background. The image for the other eye should be the same colour as the background, and therefore invisible. You need to repeat this with the other eye.

If the blacks appear coloured, or you can see a significant ghost of the image for the eye, then either the dye image on the print, on one or both of the filters is not fully absorbing in a the part of the sprectrum where they should be. In my experience I would say this applies to about 90% of anaglyph shows.

Polaroid needs much more than just a polariser at the projector; it also requires, depending on the system in use, either two syncronised, and correctly aligned projectors (there were places that did it with changeovers on four projectors, but that was rare, two projectors with 6000 foot spools was the norm) or an optical system to combine the two under and over or side by side images on a single strip of film. The side by side system, used for 1.37 ratio films, also requires an anamorphic lens. All of that results in a lot of light loss, so xenon wattage, or arc current, may well need to be increased, new lamps or bigger carbons, that in turm bay require upgraded rectifiers, and may have additional cooling implications.

Because the silver screen is highly directional you really need a fairly narrow auditorium, or if you have a wide, fan-shaped one you cannot sell the seats far off to the sides, as the picture will be too dim. It's also best not to use very large screens, especially with the single strip split frame systems; If you want a very large 3-D picture then you really need something bigger than 35mm. Fairly level projection is also desirable, not the very steep angle found in some older theatres. Lstly, you need some good projection staff, who will set everything up correctly, and keep it that way.

Doesn't apply today, but some 50s 3-D films, in their original release, had interlocked stereo magnetic sound, so you would also need a 35mm magnetic follower capable of taking 6000 foot spools.

A lot of theatres have run 3-D; relatively few of them have done it well. It is not something that a theatre should take on lightly; If they can't, or won't, do it well then it's best not to do it at all.

Did anyone see 'House of Wax' at the Lafayette yesterday? How did it look? I saw it at the NFT in London in a new two strip print getting on for ten years ago now; it looked much better than the single strip anamorphic re-release that I had seen previously. I never saw the original release with the stereo track.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first the glasses are annoying but you get immersed in the movie and forget about them.
I remember 3D movies when I was a kid that never impressed me because the 3D scenes were not through the whole movie, "put your glasses on now" type of thing.
This entire move from the get go was 3D. If it were not someones arm or weapon sticking out at you it was the layers of depth in the background or between the actors.

One note that Brian touched upon. Without the glasses the movie had color. Put the glasses on and the color was gone. Almost a black and white movie but your so immersed in the continuos effect you forget the plot or any shortcomings. Pure fun..I felt like a kid agin [Smile]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-23-2005 11:44 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SK3D looked pretty good when I saw it. It happened to be playing in a house with excellent image quality on a fairly smallish screen, about 25' in flat. The 3D effects were variable but sometimes very good. Ninety minutes of that anaglyphic look is about the limit for me though.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-23-2005 12:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Where were you sitting? You will not get the best 3-D effect if you sit too close to the screen.

Being with any 3-D performance, I try to maintain being in the middle of the auditorium and almost dead center,especially with directional,silver screens, even with IMAX 3D presentation-get in the middle be somewhat back from the screen and not too close to the front.

True, you sit to the side, or too close, the imagery of 3D isn't as effective as dead center and in the middle.

I learned this long time ago with 3D viewing at our home theatre that I used to work at in the early 70's.

-Monte

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know why the color disappears when you put on the glasses. Without them the color is very saturated. The movie might as well be in B&W.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-23-2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Shark Boy and Lava Girl-in 3D", by the same (New Line) company,
Miramax.

-Aaron

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-23-2005 04:40 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The red and green lenses are color filters. Out of the full range of color, ONLY the red part of the spectrum comes through the red lens, and ONLY green through green. That means that neither eye gets to see yellows, blues, or any subtle hues even in the red or green bands. Which is why all sense of color disappears.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-23-2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol whoops,okey..Miramax thx-Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-23-2005 08:50 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In most cases, the anaglyph filters are red and cyan, not red and green. Red and cyan are complementary colors -- a cyan filter blocks red light, and a red filter blocks green+blue (cyan).

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-27-2005 09:57 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anaglyphic = Spawn of the devil. It is an abomination even when used on a B&W film.

The rods and cones of the retina and the brain combine to continually "white balance" what we see. If it didn't do that, we hardly ever see anything white -- outdoors a piece of white paper would look bluish; indoors under incandescent lighting, that same piece of paper would look yellowish; under fluorescent, the paper would look greenish. Basically we would see what color film sees when used under light that it is not configured for because without the proper filters, color film records the color as it actually IS, which varies greatly from light source to light source.

It is only because nature has built in active color correction that we perceive white as white under many different ambient color conditions (how thrilled Kodak would have been if it could offer film that did that!). Just put on a pair of pink sunglasses, or better yet, look thru a red gel for a few minutes, then remove it -- everything you see will have a heavy blue cast. That is because your natural color correction mechanism is causing the eye to fire the blue receptors more rapidly to shift your vision away from red to compensate for the red filter that you are looking thru. Use a blue or green filter and when you remove it, your vision will have a red cast to it. Again, your eye/brain has color shifted to compensate for the filter.

That all happens naturally; no problem. But in nature, your eyes do not have to ever compensate in totally opposite directions as has to be done when you place a red filter on one eye and a cyan on the other. The compensation here is going in two different, extreme directions. This WILL cause pain. For many people it does, and very quickly. It is no accident that Hollywood abandoned anaglyphic 3D in favor of polarized 3D, even with B& W films like CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE where anaglyphic would have been much cheaper and more easily accomplished. It is also no accident that when the occasional "B" picture use anaglyphic 3D as a cheap gimmick, it only used it for brief periods of time, so as to avoid making the audience feel like their eyes and head were put in a garbage compactor. I have also been told by people who suffered thru our run of the DOUBLE BILL - 3hours -- of CREATURE and SPACE, it also can cause nausia. So anyone contemplating playing either of those two or, please no, both, be sure to hand out barf bags along with the glasses.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: