Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Crackling on 30+ year old print (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Crackling on 30+ year old print
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running HAROLD & MAUDE for a late night feature tonight from what looks to be one of the original theatrical prints. Although the film is old, it's in good condition. I'm test screening it right now, and there's a very distinct crackle over the soundtrack. It's not the usually his and crackle of an old film, but a single frequency popping. Could it be that the soundhead is picking up more than just the soundtrack? What might be causing this?

ALSO: The popping all but disappears during reel transitions. At the first cigarette burn, the pops disappear, then they start back up within 5 seconds of the new reel. I'm totally puzzled. [Confused]

Well, I flatlined the 4 highest EQ settings, and that cleared up the majority of the problem... although the film sounds a bit flat now. Any other suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 02:01 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it an IBtech print? [Big Grin]

Regardless, a print that age will have some shrinkage so the soundtrack might not be being read properly. What type of soundhead ? Exciter or LED?

Audeinces don't expect an original print to be pristine, so it's nothing to stress too much about IMO. You could always post a note on the box office warning the audience ahead of time. [thumbsup]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran "Harold and Maude" back in '71 and back then Paramount would get on the cheap side with film stock on the side - using "Movielab" stock - anybody remember this stock..?

That was the most grainiest and rotten stock that any lab could use (American International Pictures soaked themselves in Movielab stock..) for a good number years beginning in 1970

Thats'a pretty dry print you have there. That print should have been rewound and wound a few times to get the "stiffness" out, then gone through a FilmGuard machine a few times to "lube" it up as well.

Why it crackles is that the wind it so much tighter towards the end of the reel than it is at the front.

Also, being so tight there are actually lateral cracks in the soundtrack area that the PE cell can easily pick up due to the age of the print.

-Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 02:39 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movielab was a lab. They used stock from Fuji, Agfa or Kodak, just like most other labs.

Could have been issues with processing? (e.g., soundtrack application?)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 03:14 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx John for that update, for I always took the "Movielab" credit as the stock itself.

Then a question to this: What was MetroColor? did MGM had their own stock, or did they use others as did Movielab?

For Paramount, Columbia even Disney used Metrocolor..

thx-Monte

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studio print Paramount has of "Harold & Maude" is IB-Tech. I've run it on a few different projectors and had no problems with the sound. The original and the re-issue "Harold and Maude" prints were done by Technicolor, not Movielab.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 03:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of track is it? Shrinkage can do strange things to VD, and unilateral VA can also be problematic - though that went out of use in the mid-30s, and so probably isn't an issue here.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print is an IB-tech. Reducing the high frequency EQ seemed to solve the problem. Now the popping sounds like very faint crackling (what you'd expect from a 30 year old print). I doubt anyone will even notice, let alone mind.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx for the update on "Harold and Maude" for this is why I didn't directly mention that "H&M" was in IB since I couldn't remember from back then (and also, I didn't even know what IB (dye transfer printing was back then since I was only in the booth less than two years then..-being a drive-in projectionist fixing speakers on the side...) was - just that Movielab came out all of a sudden when that time Movielab was a good front runner for a lot studios to use.

With "H&B" being in IB, then I can definitely see the stress cracking in the soundtrack being of the silver soundtrack variety and with the film stock drying out.

For when IB gets that old, it's a pretty dry and alost brittle stock to mess with if not stored correctly.

Funny, how the color still remains fantastic after all these years due to "no-fade" syndrome.

-Monte

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-21-2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Then a question to this: What was MetroColor? did MGM had their own stock, or did they use others as did Movielab?
'Metrocolor' was MGM's name for its Eastman process. It was also the name used for prints struck at the MGM Culver City lab ('Prints by Metrocolor').

All the labs use the same film stocks whether it be Kodak, Fuji, or Agfa (as John mentioned) No studio or lab ever made its own filmstock, nor did Technicolor for IB- IB prints were printed onto receiver stocks made by the big film companies).

-Aaron

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-21-2005 04:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Chilton
At the first cigarette burn...
Dan you watch too much Fight Club.

They are called 'Cue Marks' or 'Motor Marks', NOT 'cigarette burns'. I know of NOBODY in the industry pre-'Fight Club' that ever called them that.

Sorry, thats a peeve of mine.

-Aaron

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 04:08 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Sisemore
Dan you watch too much Fight Club.
You got me, Aaron. Pre-Fight Club, I was just a projectionist lacky, as in thread it, start it, stop it, rethread it. Now that I'm running the whole show (post-Fight Club), that's the only term I ever knew to call them by. From now on I'll call them "cue marks" or nothing at all... or maybe I'll make up a completely new name for them. Hmm, "sprocket punctures" perhaps. [Wink]

And by the way Aaron, wasn't HAROLD AND MAUDE filmed in your neck of the woods?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity I'd still like to know whether this was an area or density track, and if area, of what variety (single unilateral/bilateral, RCA duplex, shuttered NR etc.).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote "At the first cigarette burn,"

There is no such thing it is a cue mark and if some one was idiotic enough to use a cigarette on a print the burn would occupy the entire frame [Mad]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 09:43 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen prints of that era from Paramount develop little clear holes in the black soundtrack area that were not there when the print was first acquired. It's almost as though the soundtrack spots "rusted through" or continued developing after they were stored.

Anyone else ever see this?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: