Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's a PRO-35 worth?

Author Topic: What's a PRO-35 worth?
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 03:13 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK... after you stop laughing, I do have a reason for this...

I'm looking for a range... low to high for just the PRO-35... no sound head or base. Installed around 1978. Condition would be best described as poor to fair, at best. Past operation would have been in a chain house, running 16 to 23 shows per week with minimal maintenance.

If you were buying out a booth with this stuff, what would the head be worth? If you resold it as-is, what would you resell it for?

Thanks guys. Hope I provided a little amusement for your day!
Jack

[ 10-21-2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Jack Ondracek ]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We bought 9 complete Pro35's with modle 7 sound VIP bases superlumex lamphouses potts platters mono amp and automation 1k rectifiers for 700.00 CA a booth and they were in mixed condition
the head is probably worth 200.00 if it is in need of work

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing, stay away. In "poor" shape, you'd end up spending a lot of time and money to get that thing back in working order.

If you're looking for a good one with all new bearings, oil seals, and framing coupler I've still got a recently rebuilt one available. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
running 16 to 23 shows per day
Jack, Based on running a 2 hour movie thats 32 to 46 hours A DAY.... you'd have top pay me 700 CA to haul that one away... can't be much useful thats left...... The pisser is that a
Pro(?) 35 doesn't even make a decent display machine!

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-19-2005 07:22 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with Gordon. $200 USD tops.. about like a Brenkert.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 11 theatres we owned and operated, there was ONE Pro-35. Without a doubt it was the biggest piece of shit I have ever run across. Stay far away!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-20-2005 12:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...make great doorstops! [Big Grin]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry... I meant "per week" on that show count... not per day. Typo on my part.
I get the point though. Thanks!
Jack

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 08:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good canoe anchor...except not quite heavy enough! Louis

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Folks:

Who made the "Pro-35"? When I first saw the post I thought of the Christie P-35 from the late 70's. Same projector?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-22-2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ballantyne

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon; Others:

Thanks for the info. I figured it out not long after posting. The State Theatre 3 in Eureka, CA had the Ballantyne projectors in all three auds. I was told that they were always breaking down and didn't have a steady picture.

Mike Croaro

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-23-2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ones I service get looked after and don't give any trouble and give a very steady image

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't my preference but I think they are just fine when maintained. We have about 6 of them in the area. As long as the parts supply continues they are a viable option. Having said that, I wouldn't pay anything for a poorly maintained used Pro35 projector, but might take it off their hands for parts. Also I'd have a hard time selling it to anyone in that condition, unless they really knew what they were buying and why.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-23-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, there's a lot about them that are really solid and not too bad. But the intermittent bobbin, along with that football field between the aperture and the rear of the enclosure, are its Achille's heel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: