Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 5 Dolby CP650 processors stolen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 5 Dolby CP650 processors stolen
Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case the film-tech community is offered any great deals on them, or you happen to see them on Ebay or wherever else...

5 were stolen Monday night/Tuesday morning from the MJR 20 construction site in Sterling Heights, Michigan, along with 2 Ashly FTX2001 series 3 amps. They were screwed into the racks but otherwise not yet wired. By tomorrow I should have a complete list of serial numbers.

Any leads you have please send them to me or contact the Sterling Heights police. Thanks!

And yes, they installed the doors with locks on the booth today finally...

|  IP: Logged

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
What the fuck, this happened with another cinema where some jokers where nicking the screen speaker LF drivers, this is queer….

Well it’s not going to too difficult to get the Dolby CP-650 units up and running who ever nicked them, what nerve....

Sterling Heights police what’s the link to there police station, seeing these units can be sold anywhere on the face of the planet…. [Roll Eyes]

I say It was, someone in the community that knew they layout of the cinema very well, someone that likes Dolby CP-650 better than there own home theatre, get the picture, yes it’s properly a home theatre owner, a sad one if I might add…

Who ever sales them on the Ebay, so soon is one can short of a six pack, and now the cat is out of the bag no one is going to try and sale them hear, on the street will be my guess, and whoever attempts to sale them so quickly will slip up…

I’ll keep my ears and eyes peeled, is there a reward for the property to be retuned.

So I take it this cinema is not up and running, otherwise some prints would have gone walkies….

Motion detection and pressure mats have been installed.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We supplied replacement units; shipped today. Dolby delivery is 6 weeks at present. Luckily we had additional in stock.

Whoever did this took the accessory pack for the units. They were not stored together. My guess is that he knew exactly what he was doing. Louis

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I forgot to mention, Louis saved us as far as having them on opening date. Thanks!

And yes I think they will turn up in a theatre again, one way or another so I figure film-tech has global reach.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
A projectionist surly not, unless he or she needs the money, like I said if those units where sold so quickly the police will be on them like a ton of bricks.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 07:40 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, please list the serial numbers. If possible, see if Dolby can provide serial numbers of the individual cards. If the thiefs realize people are looking for the chassis number, they may try to 'part it out.' After all, they probably read F-T too.

Usually, it's the speakers you have to watch out for construction site. I mean, you have to watch everything but especially the speakers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2005 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The serial numbers may be imbedded in the unit's software permanently so the thieves may never be ab;e to get rid of them. This happened to a theatre I serviced up in Wisconsin although this theatre location up and running a couple of years before it happened. I somewhat felt that the theatres owners were the thieves themselves in order to collect insurance money and also keep the stuff for their next location. I was also the one that got to replace it all so I made the nice tidy profit! Oddly, I didn't win the bid for that next location for some odd reason..... [Big Grin]

Mark

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark'

Personally I think there lumped with the units, and what’s to say there not reading what’s on this site, I’ve cheeked around on the Ebay to see if there’s any Dolby CP-650’s nothing as of yet, if there smart they’ll stay low till the heat calms down, that’s may guess.

Also those units alone have got to be around £12.000 pounds easily, so black market around £7.000.00 to £9.000.00 that’s still easy cash for those vultures…

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today Salt Lake Police foiled a major theft ring.... they caught a local lady sending stolen goods, VCR,s TV,s cameras, computers, etc to Ghana. I bet they will end up some place like that. The thing that raised the red flag was that she got anywhere from 50 to 75 boxes delivered a day by UPS to her home..... UPS tipped off the cops and they caught her red handed....

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-19-2005 07:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be surprised if the serial numbers are part of the unit since all of the cards are changable...the MAC address of the ethernet port will follow the mother board better than the serial number of the chassis.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-19-2005 07:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Today Salt Lake Police foiled a major theft ring.... they caught a local lady sending stolen goods, VCR,s TV,s cameras, computers, etc to Ghana. I bet they will end up some place like that.
Stolen cars, electronics and anything else fence-able is getting shipped more often to overseas markets. Some of this is due in part to our very deplorable low levels of port security. I'm surprised terrorists haven't tried to re-enact the plotline from "The Sum of All Fears" to bomb an American city. The plan could actually work. Just ship it in through a sea port -or have some folks carry parts by hand across the Mexican border.

Those Dolby CP650 units will probably be in some Chinese movie theater before the end of the month.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 08:45 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Bugger I didn’t know the Chinese where hard up for western technology.

Is the manual in Chinese…?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 10:11 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come no security guard during the construction phase, before a security system is installed?

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 10:11 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most Chinese can read English perfectly fine. [Smile]

--Chris

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 08:47 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of the sites that I have been on ever had security. I've had plenty of tools and stuff stolen before. The only piece of equipment I have ever had stolen was a subwoofer. Guess I'm lucky. These bastards have nothing better to do than this. [fu] [fu] Hope to hell they find these people.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: