Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 Doesn't "Wake Up" With Correct Sound Level (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP650 Doesn't "Wake Up" With Correct Sound Level
John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When our CP650 is turned on, it wakes up with the format we have chosen, which is non-sync. But doesn't wake up with the proper sound level for non-sync, which for us is 4.2 . It wakes up with the sound level for the format it was on at the time it was shut down.

If it happened to have been on non-sync at the time it was shut down, then it wakes up with the correct sound level

But if it were on User 1 when it was shut down, which for us is Format 13, with a level of 6.1, it wakes up with non-sync, as we have it set to do, but the wake-up sound level is 6.1 rather than 4.2.

I've repeated the set-up procedure in an attempt to fix it, but nothing changed. What do I need to do to make it wake up at the correct level?

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2005 10:02 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shut it down in Non Sync. This is the only way. - Other than adjusting the non-sync gain to match the other format's fader setting.

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 03:07 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Rick. We have a CP500 that wakes up properly without any special attention, however, and I'm thinking the 650 should also.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 11:16 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot about the 500 that I prefer over the 650, but the opposite is also true.
This fader issue may be something that Dolby can address with a firmware upgrade. (The latest version still has this issue, but it really hasn't been a problem for any of the theatres we deal with.}

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,
One benefit our 650 has over the 500 is that it processes marginal sound tracks better, and doesn't revert.
John

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to assign specific fader values to the individual format buttons. This may accomplish what you wish here...

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 06:04 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
I have assigned the specific fader values as you suggested. And on the 500, it picks them up on wake-up. But on the 650, it doesn't.
John

P. S. Anyone from Dolby out there who can help?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-19-2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The solution's easy. Wait for the show to end before turning off your sound rack.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-19-2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
P.S. Ken IS from Dolby.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-19-2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, Ken needs a picture. I nearly always miss his one line posts since they only take up about 3/4" on my display.

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 09:25 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, okay, now I fully understand your notation... as has been mentioned, just shut down in NS and you're fine.

Having said that, you're correct it would be nice if the CP650 would "read" the fader preset on boot-up. I'll have a peek at that issue and see if it may or may not be an easy thing to implement somewhere down the line.

thanks,
-ken

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 10:11 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, thanks for the P. S. about Ken's occupational status.

Ken, if a solution comes around, let me know. For now, we'll set it on Non-Sync before turning it off. Were you acquainted with Lonny Jennings? He advised us as we were installing the systems, and with his guidance, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who joined in the discussion.

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 10:39 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, okay, I'll let you know if we get this changed. In fact, we're soon to release our next version of firmware for the CP650 which may include some useful new functionality for you and others. I'll post when it's released and summarize the new features.

You asked, "Were you acquainted with Lonny Jennings?", yes indeed. We're both from New England and had worked the same NCS slot back in Connecticut years ago. I've learned alot from his experiences over the years.

-ken

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-19-2005 10:56 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why isn't the processor on non-sync when you turn it off anyway? Don't you have the automation switch to non-sync at the end of the show?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-20-2005 12:06 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken is much too modest. Ioan Allen hired Clyde Mckinney, he hired me, I hired Lonny, and Lonny hired Ken. Last generation of film based technology is in his hands.

Kind of an unbroken string.

Ain't life strange?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: