Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Make-up/Break-down times (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Make-up/Break-down times
Rob Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Rob Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am far from an expert on the make-up/break-down of films, and I am curious as to how long it takes most projectionists to do these tasks. The last time I put a movie together, I believe it took me close to an hour (at least it was all correctly spliced, etc. [beer] ) This was probably 3 years ago.
I'm not even going to say how long it takes me to break down a film [Roll Eyes]

What is everyone elses general timeframes?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-15-2005 01:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can stick a print together within 45 minutes, and break one down in 20minutes using a STRONG MUT. - Monte

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 02:18 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about the same. 45-60 on a movie (depending on length) and about 20 minutes on a tear down.

We have a shift manager who is tear down god. He can tear them down correctly without damage in 10 minutes or less.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-15-2005 02:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have a shift manager who can tear down good. He can tear them down correctly without damage in 10 minutes or less.

..one speedy hombre! You guys use clear or opaque tape? If using opaque tape, I can see my Mr. Speedy is being so fast... [Wink]

-Monte

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-15-2005 02:48 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a CFS platter I can get a 6 reel film from cans to platters (excluding the trailer pack and cues) in about 15 minutes, and can go from platter to cans with zero damage (no jokes about 'simply running on a CFS damages the print', thanks... [Big Grin] ) in about 10 minutes.

With a Christie AW3, I can go from cans to platter in about 45 minutes, 25-30 min. if I make up to 6000' reels first, and about 20 minutes from platter to cans.

I would not recommend high-speed makeup or breakdown as standard procedure. Too much to go horribly wrong very quickly if things go awry.

-Aaron

[ 10-15-2005, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Aaron Sisemore ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-15-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea "Charlie Film Systems"...lol

Yea, got that right. Especially, when TECH loves to lock the end of the tail leader in the flange locks and "WHAM!"...damned table gets pulled and slams into the platter when you're not looking and paying attention. Damned "poly film" sometimes... [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2005 03:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Makeup with a platter reel (assuming the trailer pack has already been assembled as "reel #0" and assuming all reels arrive heads out) 20-30 minutes for a 7'ish reel movie doing a full proper inspection and putting on cues as needed.

Breakdown 15 minutes for a normal 7'ish reel movie with no markings on the film of any sort and ultrasonic splices (not tape). The trick is in having everything neatly organized so 90% of your breakdown time is spent with the reel spinning, not fumbling around trying to get leaders reattached.

(BTW, anyone breaking down without a splicer and making REAL splices, either single or double sided, is NOT breaking down. They are making a mess and damaging the film.)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-15-2005 04:12 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course all my leaders get spliced on (clear NeuTape, single sided) on breakdown.

Using Goldberg platter reels are 'cheating': it's not like every theatre has them! (Yes, they all should... and yes they all need Kinotons too... we have heard it all before, Brad) [Smile]

-Aaron

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2005 04:52 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used a platter, and never handled a new print of a feature, but to make up onto 6ks generally takes me about half the running time. It depends on how the print arrives, whether head or tail out, or a mixture of the two, whether I have a second rewind bench available, how much muck there is to be cleaned off the ends of the reels before re-splicing, etc. I had one recently which took me almost four hours, I think that's the worst I've ever had for a normal film. Spending five minutes preparing each pair of reel-ends, i.e. removing multiple layers of old tape, sticky labels, general muck etc. is not unusual. In that case there's no way I'm going to get it done in an hour.

To break down a print, generally abut half an hour.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 09:48 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you guys are fast. I usualy build-up, including trailers, cues, junk tail / lable, etc. in an hour and a half. This is building onto 6000's on a rewind bench, reversing, then loading. Of course, I've never worked in a theatre where I didn't have to be threading and starting at the same time, so maybe that has something to do with it. Break-down takes about a half hour.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 10:34 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My estimates for budgeting time is running time of feature for inspection and loading onto platter. Breakdown is half running time of feature.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2005 11:20 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it depends on the condition of the print, the amount of other stuff that needs to be done at the same time, and whether I am making up/breaking down to/from a platter (via 6000' reels), 6000' reels, or 2000' reels. The length of the film is also a factor.

In most cases, inspection and makeup takes me about an hour. If there are trailers, it might take longer. It actually takes slightly more time to makeup for projection on 2000' reels (compared with platter or 6000' reels), since I need to measure the cues and also like to label the heads and tails of each reel. On the other hand, the film can go on screen as soon as the first reel is inspected.

Breakdown from a platter takes me about 30 minutes for a standard length (5-7 reels) feature. I usually remove any trailers prior to the last show and break those down on the bench as the show runs. It takes slightly longer when a film ships on cores, since each reel has to be rewound onto a core after being broken down from a platter.

When running 2000' reels, I usually take up directly onto shipping reels (unless they are in bad condition), and "breakdown" takes about 30 seconds after the show ends. With 6000' reels, I usually run the last reel on a 2000' reel, so that everything else can be broken down by the time the show ends. I do then rewind that last reel so that everything is heads out.

In any case, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on makeup and breakdown times, although it's nice to know that I can tell a manager that the film that ends at 9:30 will be ready for pickup at 10:00, or that the print that is scheduled for a 12:00 show will need to arrive no later than 11:00 in order for the show to start on time (assuming a platter house).

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we build we use the yellow edge tape and we use the clear tape when taking out factory splices. I think the reason he is so good at it is because he to once worked for GCC and their union liked to mark their splices with the white grease pencils, so this guy got used to where the end of a reel was.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 01:39 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never hurry when I break down. I have Christie AW-3's and simply wind the film back off onto the 6000 foot reels. Then I wind everything off onto the appropriate reels, or, cores, if its something I will run again.

Rushing this job is just asking for trouble.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 02:38 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to making up and breaking down prints, I'm a tortoise: about an hour to an hour and a half per print to make up, and about 45 minutes to an hour per print to break down.

There's a catch...all prints I handle in my film-festival work are inspected and spliced onto 6000-foot reels using a Kelmar inspection bench; the 6Ks are then rewound and transferred to the platter. Most prints I work with come on cores, and more often than not I find heads and tails spliced on with layers of low-quality tape. The bench inspection process is inherently time-consuming, as is peeling off old splicing tape and cleaning off adhesive residue from the film ends with a rag dampened in Film-Guard.

After the showing, I offload the print from the platter onto 6Ks, then bench-wind each reel back onto the cores to ensure a tight, flat wind. All spices are peeled, never torn.

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting time, but the satisfaction of doing the right thing more than makes up for the additonal time spent.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: