Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reel 4 problem with "The Fog"

Author Topic: Reel 4 problem with "The Fog"
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2005 03:00 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel #4 has a timecode and/or DTS disc problem. As explained to me by patrons after the show, sound is totally out of sync and may even be from a different reel.

Unfortunately, I was unable to witness the problem first hand, as my operator switched to SR before I could get there. Thereafter, I switched it back to digital for reels 5-6, which were okay. No problems with Reels 1-3.

After talking to ETS, they tell me that the problem is widespread and they have not been able to tell at this time whether it is a bad print, or the DTS disc. They are sending a replacement reel tomorrow.

And I'll answer the inevitable question (Don't you screen your prints) directly. No. Wish I could, but that's not my call.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-14-2005 03:22 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for giving a good example of why pre-screening prints is a good idea (but you know that already). Hopefully your management will now see the advantages of having someone look and listen to the prints before an audience does.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for letting us know. Luckily our theater only runs DTS if our Dolby Digital fails. Let's pray that it doesn't this weekend.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2005 03:52 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the reel #4 is the lab for unknown reasons made an error and some reel#4 prints went out with Reel #1 timecode, which means when reel 4 starts it will play DTS sound reel 1. It is always a good idea to prescreen, but this sort of thing should have been caught prior to leaving the lab. When a lab shoots timecode negatives it is necessary to select reel number, the default is reel # 1. The distributor is in process of sending out notice to all theaters that received the Fog, I do not know what is in that notice. This has only affected the playback of DTS, all other formats should work correctly.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2005 04:47 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike- Great job getting that explanation so quickly. FWIW, I had assumed a lab problem all along, but we all know about that word "assumed". [Smile]

Now I have to hope that I get a correctly printed reel #4, or we are going to be playing it in SR all week!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a memo at one of the theaters I service stating that Sony requested the film be played in Mono until the replacement reel arrives. Could that possibly be at typo? Why Mono and not SR?

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 10:54 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understood it to be mono if it's a DTS house only... The optical tracks weren't affected, just the timecode.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 10:57 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the analog optical track mono or Dolby SR? Evidently, the analog track is in sync and the error only was in the exposing of the DTS time code onto the sound negative, so playing the analog track in SR (stereo) should be fine until a replacement is sent.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 11:34 AM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mono? Put the exhaust vents back on your lamphouses [Wink] This is the notice that Theaters should have recieved.:

ATTENTION PROJECTIONIST

A limited number of THE FOG feature prints contain a reel 4 that
has incorrect timecode on the print resulting in a sync problem
when playing DTS audio.

Until the exact prints affected are identified, it is recommended that the DTS track not be used unless you have already screened your print with no problem.

Once the affected prints numbers are identified, Deluxe Labs will ship a replacement reel 4 to those theatres.

The sync problem is a result of a technical problem with the print, not with the DTS disc, and the other sound formats are not affected.

If you have determined that your print has this problem, please
contact ETS at 1-800-734-3969 and request a replacement reel.

The DTS audio will play back properly once you have received the
replacement reel 4.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet that someone at DeLuxe is in hot water over this.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 10:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The error evidently happened when the sound negative was recorded, which may not have been at the lab that made the release prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: