Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Handlers Manual

Author Topic: Film Handlers Manual
John Summers
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for John Summers   Email John Summers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to the movie business. I have bought a movie theatre and have been running it since March. I have gotten down the process of splicing because of what I have read here at this site. I am wondering if there is a film handlers manual out there that could help me be a better film handler. I have reported issues with prints to my distributor to let them know about a bad print. I thread in frame since I don't want to be adjusting the frame every time a put a print through the projector. I know there is a thread in this forum talking about ousting bad projectionists. I don't want to be one of them. Please provide any sources I can read so I can be a better film handler.

Thanks,
John Summers
Milaca Theatre

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-13-2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read this forum every chance you get. There are hundreds of pages of great information here. (And a lot of crap, but it's pretty easy to tell the difference.) [Big Grin]

Get the manuals for all the equipment in your booth and read them.

Keep everything clean.

Push for installing film cleaner(s) in your booth if you don't have them already. The work they save, and the improvement they make to your presentation, make them worth the money.

You already thread in frame and report bad prints, so that gives you a head start over many industry veterans. Additionally, check these points:

Use clear splicing tape. When making up a new print, never leave more than one "reference" frame. Attach the leaders back on your prints with splices rather than some other cheap tape, and tape down those leaders securely when you ship them out. If you do these things, everyone here will like you. [Smile] If you deviate from these tips and admit it, you will be mercilessly flamed.

Welcome to the forums. Like I said at the top, just keep reading. I've been in the biz over 25 years and still keep learning new stuff from the experts here.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 01:25 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I make what I call "The Booth Bible" for every booth I run for any length of time.
In this binder I put the following:
- Cue sheet for the automation
- FilmGuard manual, instructions, and tip sheet I wrote
- Guide to film damage and causes of said damage
- Every manual to everything in the booth
Basically, as you learn more you write it down. Everything you can think of that you'll ever need to know, or pass down to someone else goes into this binder.
Cleaning procedures, building, breaking, everything.

To be totally honest someone should pen a book with everything that's become Film-Done-Right here at Film-Tech.
Good luck.
--Dom

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 01:37 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings John from a dank Cambridge

From my many years research, the one publication that I find of use to the budding projectionist is the BKSTS Projectionists Manual. Most cinema chains in the UK have a copy in their projection suite and is an invaluable reference material. Copies may be purchased from here;

http://www.bksts.com/index-merchandise.htm

Goodnight from Cambridge

David

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-13-2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's '101' pages on the Tips section of this site are a very good place to start.

The BKSTS Projectionists' Training Manual is the only one in published paper form I know of, though you're probably looking at around $80ish by the time you've imported a copy. It covers the basics well and has lots of good photos and diagrams, but the version that was rewritten in the late '90s (which I presume is the version on sale now) isn't as comprehensive as its predecessor.

Edit: David beat me to it by a millisecond or two!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: