Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » looking for tips on what to check to restart a v-5 projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: looking for tips on what to check to restart a v-5 projector
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be firing up a V-5 projector in the morning that has stood idle for around 5 years. Does anyone have any tips for what I need to check over first. I have the manual and will look at the belts, dashpot oil, rollers and the like. What i am not sure of is if there is any hidden items I want want to look over before we fire it up. The xenon bulbs have also been in the lamps for the same time period so I am questionable about the condition they are in. They have been in a closed theater installed in place all this time. It will be a interesting morning.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bulb might fire up, but I'd pull that bulb to be safe. Maybe change out the oil in the intermittent assembly for starters, where you've already did the belt check (and could be a smart thing to change those two belts while it's on your mind since they can dry out).

And, you can take the motor belt off and let the motor spin for a while with no load on it.

Also, check your oil points, especially the oil point for the scanner drum shaft. This would be a good idea to oil your points with the belts off and roll each shaft around manually to get the oil into the contact areas.

V-5's are fun to work on. - Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
turn the machine over and make sure the shutter gear box is free
if it has a greese filler refill it
also change the belts if they have sat that long they will have a set to them that will probably break

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 09:02 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, that picture is of a Vic-8, not a Vic-5. A much better machine.
DEFINITELY change the oil. Run it for a few hours, then change ot again, and you'll be fine. Some of the older motors themselves required periodic oiling. I can't see from the pic if this one does, but the motor will have two black indented caps at each end with a slot in it. If it has an RK-60 nameplate on it (These were only in Canada maybe??) you maybe lucky to have steel on steel shutter gears. If not, make damn sure the slow start timer or 2 position switch and associated components are working before you run with the belt omn the motor for the first time.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 09:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, I didn't see that. This is an "8" than a "5" with that extra sprocket cover plate above and to the right of the upper sprocket to run 70mm.

Then this thing is oil bath driven instead of fully belt drive (even though that thick belt runs the head from the motor) as with the V-5's.

Yep, get that oil changed.

-Monte

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 09:32 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the V-8 was a 35/70 projector and these are 35 only it is in a old UA theater that was closed. So I will take both manauls with me in the morning. [Confused]

-

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-12-2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, there are both 35 and 35/70 versions. There is no question at all that it's not a V8.

Make sure you heed Rick's advice to remove the motor belt before starting for the first time to make sure the slow start is working (try a few starts, the pneumatic timers can be funky, hopefully it is equipped with something better) if you're not positive it has steel shutter gears (you can find out by taking the back cover off).

The belt should be replaced anyway... so check out the slow start when you're changing the belt.

If it's sitting in front of a large lamp you might also want to check to make sure the shutter itself isn't warped and hitting the water jacket cover (if equipped). You'll hear it tick when running -- it can damage the shutter gears, especially if they are fibre gears.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the 35mm only version of the Vic-8 was referred to as the Victoria-8r. Basically the same head with less elaborate water cooling and minus the upper sprocket shaft and other 70mm stuff. This one looks like a late 70's model - probably with steel on fiber (phenolic) gears. A good projector if cared for. As long as nothing breaks. These were assembled one at a time, and I know the early ones were a bitch trying to get a part from one machine to fit on another. The later ones had closer tolerences, so this was less of a problem. Still one of my favourite machines to run 70mm on.

BTW the motor looks to be a standard sealed bearing 3 phase Italian motor.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..yet, you can see the inlet/outlet spigots below the shutter housing, implementing a water cooled trap area.

On theatre that I used to work at had these 8r's, with the 10k reel arms and the big 13k reel transport behind. The lamphouse was a side shooting 2.5k vertical shooting at a flat dicoated mirror to bounce the light through the trap. But the earlier model that I ran, didn't have that housing above the turret, yet the turret was motorized with the same 3phase configuration as the motor in this picture. Everything that motorized on that machine was 220v 3phase.

True, take care of these 8r's and they'll take care of you. The only downside of these machines is that the parts are extremely pricey. Even the exciter lamp will hit almost 50 bucks compared to the standard 4v9a variety of only 6 bucks.

Nice thing is that BACP has LED reader kits for these machines.

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-13-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a blower motor on the non operating side that on older ones requires oiling as well
Also the clearance between the shutter and the changeover housing is very tight so make sure that the shutter isn't hitting it from being heat warped

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 10:29 AM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to clean the magnet and filter assembly located behind the sightglass located in the upper righthand corner when changing the oil. Be sure that the sightglass fills up with oil when the projector is running. Great machines.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are V-8R. I was there this morning and cleaned one up and it ran like a top and even thru a picture on the screen. Have a relay problem with the sound so the sound did not work but that looks to be a minor problem. Otherwise they were quiet and ran great.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-13-2005 07:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be very inclined to re-start a VIC-5 with a 30.06 or a shot gun... thats about the best thing you could do for one... put it out of its misery! As for the VIC 8 its one of the best machines out there and everlasting....

Mark

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..yet, you can see the inlet/outlet spigots below the shutter housing, implementing a water cooled trap area.
35/70 Vic-8's had water jackets not only around the trap like this head, but also around the inside of the entire shutter housing. The in/outs were in the same place, but there's another water line that runs under the housing toward the back, and they provided clean-outs in the shutter housing.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vic 5's are great little machines, have ran a few that give just as steady picture as a Kinoton FP20/30/40 or Century.

Yes Vic 8's are one of the most easy to lace machines for 70 and damn good at 35mm.

Re-your re-start of the old machine, probably worth cahngint hte rear cover gasket at some point, Be carfull not to overtighten the cover allen bolts as the threads seem to give up mighty quick, most tof the mechs i have serviced have at least 2 bolts that just wont tighten fully and just spin.

Get an inverter for the machine ASAP and the Vic 8 will last another 30 years.

Darren

Cinemeccanica rule, (I know that will start a huge rant from you americans!) whats wrong with europe, Europe gave us the DP70!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: