Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Recommendations for an automatic rewind table?

Author Topic: Recommendations for an automatic rewind table?
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run reel-to-reel at our theater, and the act of manually rewinding each and every 28" reel is really beginning to lose its novelty. Needless to say, I'm now in the market for a good used automatic rewind table. Before I start soliciting equipment dealers, what recommendations do you guys have? Should we stick with Neumade? What should we expect to pay for a good used model, or should I just bite the bullet and buy one new?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-11-2005 03:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might get lucky and find a good used rewinder but odds are it will be well "enjoyed."

I've found, just like everything else, rewinders have their fans and haters...Kelmar, Neumade and Goldberg are the major offerings...odds are that the Goldberg rewinder is priced out of what you would want...Kelmar and Neumade have decent offerings.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve... when you say "decent offerings," what price range would that be? Less than $2k?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One rewinder I don't like is the Goldberg especially the older ones built out of an office desk
If one is on a budget the Tecco rewind is ok

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan; When I get to work tomorrow, I will email you a copy of the Neumade Ultra II manual. Looking at different manufacturer's manuals might help you decide. I'll use your email address listed here at FT, if that's OK.

Regardless, I think you should be able to find a good used Neumade or Kelmar rewind table for less than $2K. Remember, though, either one will probably have to be shipped by truck, (unless you can drive to it) so add that cost.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar tables are simple to operate and repair. Although all of the Kelmars I've used have been in varying states that required "normal" operation to run slightly differently.

For 2,000 ft reels, the old Goldbergs with the closing doors on them are still available for sale, and quite the functional antique to have around.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2005 06:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you buy used, DO NOT buy an old Neumade PRT ULTRA. complete junk! The reel shafts are made of pot metal and bend easily. Earlier this year one of the shafts snapped clean off during operation sending a nearly full 6'000 reel of film flying. Took a chunk out of the linoleum where it landed! Whenever i use it now, i'm carefull where i stand in case that happens again. [puke]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-11-2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you find them used, then yes they are notably less than $2K...street price on Kelmar tables are knocking around $2K little more/little less, depending on your dealer and what you equip it with (spindles) or if you want power in both directions.

The Neumade table I think is only double head powered and can allow you to wind the film in any direction (over/over or s-wind) and don't require you to lift the reels as high.

Again, both have their followings.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-11-2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Dan; also, those Neumade PRT-ULTRA tables won't operate the motor in reverse, which means that they can't be used to rewind 16mm film properly with keyed reels.

Also, do _not_ get one of those Goldberg machines, unless you modify it to come up to speed gradually (there is a post somewhere in the archives about how to do this). They will cinch film in their default configuration.

I like the Kelmar tables, though I haven't seen the current version of the Neumade.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 07:17 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Scott --- the rewinder should have a variable speed motor so you can accelerate gradually. A rewinder driven by a constant speed motor (like the old enclosed Goldberg winders) can cinch the film since it accelerates so rapidly. These "cinch marks" are very visible on the screen. When winding film, it is very important not to have loose laps slide against each other within the roll.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 09:03 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teco Variable speed rewinder is no longer a "stock" item. If you are willing to purchase 15 or more then they will make up enough castings to do a run. For people on a budget there is always the Wenzel rewind set more commonly known as the Wolk-o-matic; use this with a variable speed motor from Grainger or the Neumade X-3 rewinder with motor pulley.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 02:38 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for a single screen theater for a while that had the old neumade hand crank reinders Someone had retro-fitted them with a pulley and a motor. You would just start the reel winding by hand and when it was up to speed, just flip the switch to turn the motor on and let it take over. A cheap alternative but their set-up was dangerous in that it hand no belt cover.

I have a Kelmar table and I love it. It is nice to be able to quickly change shaft diameters and if use you use the arm, it will shut itself off when done too. I picked mine up used for pretty cheap but ended up replacing all the bearings in it and need to replace the top too. Make sure if you buy a used one to run it first and see if there is vibration or noise.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica is a good choice if you are a Godfather fan! We used them many times in Cyprus (new ones and some used) and never had a problem
D

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: