Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS 1.46 rom still available?

Author Topic: DTS 1.46 rom still available?
Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if DTS still sends out the 1.46 timecode ROM? I"ve got an old DTS-6 unit that has 1.29 on it and from what I can tell from searching old messages 1.46 will 'cure' a problem I'm having. The problem being a sort of 'warble'/'wowing' or whatever when playing back some films. If I 'force' playback without running the film the problem doesn't appear to happen.

Also, does this work with the older Toshiba drives? The ones I have appear to be working fine and I don't really want to spend a boatload of money doing an upgrade (if that's even still possible). Plus, I've got 3 of those drives stuck in my player (yup, 3 drives physically in the 6, you can only do it with the slimline Toshiba's). Unless of course the upgrade is required for some reason. (I hear it comes with other boards as well).

Thanks,
--Chris

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-11-2005 03:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 1.46 rom is still available (for free if you ask Karen nicely) [Big Grin] , and AFAIK it will work with all drives, even the old caddy ones.

-Aaron

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 09:38 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you know, DTS no longer supports the DTS=6. However, there are others that do; notably Quality Presentations in Massapequa, NY. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 02:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done plenty of V.1.46 upgrades with the new drives for the DTS-6 units.

With this upgrade, a new AQRM card goes in to replace the RomDOS chip (which gets taken out of the timecode card and that socket remains empty), new SCSI card to accept the new drives, drives themselves are SCSI Hi-Speed, 32 spin CDRw's, and the new chip to go along with the replacement.

Only thing is that there is no more 2tray upgrade kits available from DTS. You have to get the 3tray kit and have a spare SCSI drive to have on store.

Kits from a dealer runs a little over 400 bucks.

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wholesaler says that the TEAC 32x SCSI drive is discontinued I wonder what are good replacements

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the info. Karen is sending me the 1.46 chip. Seems that's the only thing I need. The other boards and whatnot are only if your replacing the drives. Since my drives are good (and I got a pile of spares) I should hopefully be all set.

thanks,
--Chris

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 03:24 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, one word of caution with other makes of drives (like APPLE SCSI drives), and please disregard this if have found out already:

I have a DTS-6 unit that had both caddie drives fail, in which this unit had the V.1.29 chip in it. I then tried to just do the drive swap by using APPLE SCSI drives, but without any success.

I then upgraded this unit to the V.1.46 with the ARQM card (which replaces the ROMDos chip) and a newer SCSI controller card and then tried these APPLE SCSI drives, in which these drives were then recognized by the system with the proper jumpers placed on each drive.

Also, with the V.1.46 in the DTS-6D units that these APPLE drives will work in these units as well.

Now, unfortunately, I didn't do just the chip replacement and then tried the drive trade to see if these APPLE drives would be recognized by the system, so thus I'm sure if this drive swap would work or not.

..just a guess on this one.. - Monte

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the DTS 6 and 6D basically run DOS. Because of this they use old CDROM device drivers. 'Back in the day' most of these drivers were built to only recognize certain drive device ID's to ensure compatability. As time goes on more drives come out, and more device ID's get added to various manufacturers drivers.

The driver is locked into the SCSI card that's being used. If you have a Future Domain SCSI card, then you load the FD drivers. Adaptec, the adaptec drivers. Each of these drivers has a supported set of CDROM drives.

Fortunately for me I have a stack of these Toshiba slimline drives (same ones used in Sun 'pizzabox' workstations). So I should be good to go. Got plenty of spares... plus you can squeeze 3 drives into the DTS-6 without a problem. You just gotta drill a couple of holes in the support bracket so you can screw the middle drive in. Oh and you gotta replace the SCSI cable as well with one that has 4 or more connectors.

--Chris

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-03-2009 03:58 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1237 days since the last post.

Adam Lautenbach
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2009 03:58 PM      Profile for Adam Lautenbach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for bringing up this topic again. Thought I'd post in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm a projectionist and want to get our DTS units up and running. I have three 6D units that haven't been upgraded at all since 1997 when they were installed (at least I don't think they have, only opened up one of them so far). They have v1.29 and Toshiba drives. I want to confirm that changing the chips to v1.46 is a good idea and that the Toshiba drives will still work. I also am replacing bad drives with used/refurbished drives purchased online. In another thread (from 2000) someone said DTS recommends v1.29 for Toshiba drives and not v1.46. Is this still the case? Maybe there will be no difference because I am using Toshiba drives.

Another question. The drives we have are Toshiba 5701b which are 12x. From what i've read in other threads, they are usually 4x 5401b drives. Is this odd? Has anybody else run into these drives being used in their DTS? I am still going to replace them with the same model that are in there.

Our theater will not fund anything getting fixed unless we absolutely can't run the movies so getting a DVD upgrade kit is out of the question. We've been running in SR in two of the threaters for well over a year. The other unit has been working but a second of the three drives have failed so we need to replace the drives. I want to get these things going the cheapest way possible. Management/owners don't care if they work or not.

Thanks.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will have some issues playing current films with a TCR v1.29 chip. But changing the chip alone isn't going to be possible. The D422 board also has a ROM-DOS chip on it. When you upgrade to the 1.46 chip, you must remove the ROM-DOS chip from U12 and put in a new ARQM chip on a new ROM board. Getting the 1.46 chip will cost you nothing. Getting the ARQM chip and the ROM card (which comes with the DVD Drive upgrade) may set you back up to $400 per unit.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-03-2009 07:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong, but if the system already has AQRM board on it, no changes are necessary. Just replace 1.29 with 1.46. I'm not aware of any incompatibility issues with toshiba drives.

Replacing drives with on the shelf drives will cause only trouble. Trust me, you'll waste your time and money. The only chance could be to replace the drives with the exactly same model, but DO NOT buy used drives! Toshiba drives last no more than 2 years, used drives would be dead very soon.

If I were you, I would replace the 1.29 with 1.46; then I would use the player until some drives died. At that point I would update the player with an official kit, that will allow you to put any IDE drives in it.

OR, you can ask DTS if they can do some kind of exchange like "give 3 DTS-6D - get 2 XD10". Don't know if it's possible.

Bye

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: