Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Amplifier To Screen Speaker Cables Dimensions

Author Topic: Amplifier To Screen Speaker Cables Dimensions
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2005 07:57 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read one old post about cable dimension when we have power amplifier in both and cables going to speakers, but I'm interested in that cables dimensions, mm2.

I saw you marking cables like AWG12, AWG14.....but what are square millimeter dimensions of these conductors??

In mine case I've got 30 meter long theatre, so sound must go true about 42 meter of cables, I've got left, center, right and sub woofer channels.

I planing to get one wire cables and put 8 wires true screen, so i can use 2 wires for each speaker.

What you think about this, it's good or bad?

Can you tell me what mm2 or square millimeter dimensions must be for each wire, and what are effect to sound whit this cables are?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-10-2005 08:57 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tables of wire gauges:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

http://www.interfacebus.com/Reference_Cable_AWG_Sizes.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/wirega.html

http://www.bnoack.com/index.html?http&&&www.bnoack.com/data/wire-resistance.html

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With your cable runs, you should consider using 4mm2 cable (AWG 12).

These are available in twisted-pair form, but sometimes are installed singly, similar to what you are suggesting.

In a theatre as big as yours it would be nice to have Surround as well!

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 07:42 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I'm concidering use a 6mm2 wires because i think isn't big difference in price vs. 4mm2 wires.

Yes surround is gonna be wired with silicon speaker 2,5mm2 cable.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2005 07:09 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, what you think i use 4mm2 cable or 6mm2 cable for screen speakers???

Lenght of cable is 50meter, that is about 160 foot.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2005 10:21 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest using the 6mm2 cables for the screen speakers because of the long 160 foot run.

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 08:42 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people say you should twisted pair cable for speakers, to stop RF interferance etc is that a twisted pair of single core cables or a twisted pair of two core cables (for bi-amp)?
Also is there any other spec to consider when choosing speaker cable?
Does anyone buy from RS and have any recommendations for cable from their catalogue?

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 08:54 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twisted pair means that you twist a two conductor (one for + and other for - pole) of same channel, so in mine situation i have, left, center, right and subwoffer channels.

So i must use 8 conductors and twisted four pairs, and also if you working bi amping you should twist two conductors for each speaker!

Yes you have special cables for speakers to buy on RS, Farnell....., but this is much cheaper solution and you got same results!!!!!!!!

Here 1meter of 6mm2 conductor cost $ 0,38, so because you must twisted it for each chnnel by two you got $0,76 for meter, and special speaker cable of 6mm2 two wires cost $2,75 here.....so i think is pretty clear why to use one wire twisted pairs!!!

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 01:13 PM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive read people on here say to use THHN stranded wire, what's THHN?
Is it something I would be able to get in the UK?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 01:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and when running your cables, run two extra runs, for you just might get an open in one of your existing runs due to some defect of sorts.

This will save you from having to pull new wire if a run opens up.

This happened to me twice - a run opened up months after opening our complexes, but it was an easy job to use the spare run to reconnect and get back online.

-Monte

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 01:39 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THHN is standard teflon coated stranded wire generally used for general electrical wiring. The jacket is slick and tough and can handle rough pulls through pipe...usually my last choice among the good options.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also it is not flame rated for free air or in a plenum

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: