Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Martin / Carmike History Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Martin / Carmike History Question
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 10:40 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone familiar with the history of Martin and Carmike Theatres? Did these companies merge? If so, when did this occur?

I found one account on the Web claiming a 1982 merge, but I have some newspaper ads for several theatres during 1984 under the Martin name.

Anyway, I have a question about a place called the Astro Twin in Greenville, South Carolina. Anyone familiar? I'm trying to determine which company operated the theatre in 1984.

[I asked this on another site but have not been able to get an answer.]

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-07-2005 12:39 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike and Carl Patrick were executives with Martin. They either bought or otherwise gained control of the corporation, renaming it Carmike (for Carl and Mike... get it?) in the early 80s. One is the father; the other, a son.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but this is the info I kept hearing when I serviced them in the early 90s. Let me try to contact a source, if his email is still good. If so, I'll post back with the scoop.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2005 02:08 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Carmike webiste
Only the first paragraph really has anything to do with what you wanted, but I couldn't help but post all of it. Its just so inspirational.

quote:
Corporate History

Carmike Cinemas, Inc., evolved when Carl L. Patrick, Sr. and his son, Michael W. Patrick, acquired Martin Theatres from Fuqua Industries in a 1982 LBO. Headquartered in Columbus, Georgia, Michael W. Patrick is President, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Directors.

The dedication and determination exhibited by Michael W. Patrick is evident in Carmike Cinemas' status as a premiere motion picture exhibitor in the industry. As of May 31, 2005, Carmike operates 2,450 screens, 311 theatres in 37 states. Carmike Cinemas growth was through acquisitions in the 1980's and early 1990's. Stadium seating was introduced to the industry in the mid 1990's and as a result Carmike began constructing theatres to include stadium seating and digital sound

Carmike Cinemas targets small to mid-sized communities with populations ranging from 50,000 to 250,000. Our mission is to focus on small to mid-sized communities and to be the sole or premiere exhibitor in those niche markets. Capital expenditures for Carmike Cinemas are viewed as investments for the long-term. For example, in Cullman, AL a new complex was built that has allowed us to continue in a marketplace where we have experienced years of success. Our newest theatre design is referred to as the "Carmike-plex", which is 100% stadium seating and 100% digital sound, and can be found in towns such as Dyersburg, TN. The "Carmike-plex" is intended for markets with a population of 50,000 to 100,000 and the advantage is that other circuits are not targeting these markets because it would be impossible to put a megaplex in a town this size. Eighty percent (80%) of our theatres are in markets with fewer than 100,000 people.

I.Q. 2000 and I.Q. Zero are the information technology systems responsible for much of our success. Designed and built by Carmike, I.Q. 2000 and I.Q. Zero capture all point of sale information relating to ticket and concession sales and processes payroll information. The cost effective information systems allow the home office to manage day to day operations, allowing theatre managers more time to manage since less time is spent preparing numbers for the home office in Columbus, Georgia. Carmike Cinemas' operating expenses are the lowest in the industry due to I.Q. 2000 and I.Q. Zero, which instantly transmit all information to the Corporate headquarters where executive management coordinates the administrative functions, maximizes efficiency, and control costs.

From August 8, 2000 to January 31, 2002, Carmike operated its business and managed its properties under the protection of the reorganization provisions of chapter 11 of title 11 of the U.S. Code (the "Bankruptcy Code"). On August 8, 2000,Carmike and its subsidiaries Eastwynn Theatres, Inc., Wooden Nickel Pub, Inc. and Military Services, Inc. filed voluntary petitions for relief under chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code. On January 4, 2002, the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware entered an order confirming the Debtors' Amended Joint Plan of Reorganization Under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code, dated as of November 14, 2001 (the "Plan"). The Plan became effective on January 31, 2002 and, on the Effective Date, Carmike filed with the Secretary of State for the State of Delaware the Amended and Restated Certificate of Incorporation. During the reorganization process, the Company closed unprofitable theatres, renegotiated rents, realigned its capital structure and identified its core group of theatres that would be the nucleus of the Company's operations and growth for the future.

Carmike Cinemas' Common Stock, effective upon the commencement of trading on Thursday, May 23, 2002, trades on The Nasdaq National Market under the ticker symbol "CKEC". Previously, the Common Stock traded on the over-the-counter Bulletin Board.

Carmike Cinemas, Inc. has enjoyed continued success and growth in the 20th century and looks forward to the prospects the 21st century has to offer. Carmike Cinemas is proud to bring America's "hometowns" today and tomorrows movies.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-07-2005 02:15 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I just heard back from my contact. Nothing to add from what Dustin posted.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2005 03:38 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It occured to me also that if you are interested in the actual mechanics of the Martin takeover there's gotta be a ton of SEC filings dating from 82 on the matter.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-07-2005 09:04 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Astro Twin Theatre was operated by Martin in 1981.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for contributing, Bill, but your reply doesn't answer my question. I'm asking about 1984!!!

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2005 01:36 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
Martin and Carmike were essentially the same company. As stated in a previous post, Carl and Mike Patrick bought Martin Theatres from Fuqua Industries in a leveraged buyout (LBO), and subsequently changed the name to Carmike Cinemas.
So in 1984, regardless of the name the company was using at the time, it would have been the same business entity that operated the theatre you asked about.
On another topic, Mike Patrick was considered somewhat of an arrogant executive in the 1980s, which could have contributed to the company's eventual comeuppance, and filing for bankruptcy protection, in 2000.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-07-2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to detract from Mike's question, but how does Eastwyn Theatres figure into the Carmike picture?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2005 11:48 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eastwynn, Westwynn, and now GKC theatres are wholey owned subsidiaries of Carmike Cinemas. The management structure is completely integrated but legally speaking they are seperate entities. I'm no financial expert but I believe it is for tax/liability purposes.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John McConnel
So in 1984, regardless of the name the company was using at the time, it would have been the same business entity that operated the theatre you asked about.
Understood, except the exact name being used is the info I am seeking. If they bought the company in '82 and didn't immediately change the Martin name to Carmike on their buildings and in newspaper ads, then I'm inclined to go with Martin.

By the way, there's a reference to a 1985 name change on film-tech member Evans Criswell's website. Is there any chance that the 1982 date referenced was a typo of 1985? After all, on a typical keyboard, a 5 is right above 2. (Likewise, Evans' date could be the one with the typo.)

Thoughts, anyone?

[ 10-17-2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 08:20 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QUOTE: Michael Coate
"Understood, except the exact name being used is the info I am seeking. If they bought the company in '82 and didn't immediately change the Martin name to Carmike on their buildings and in newspaper ads, then I'm inclined to go with Martin."

The name wasn't immediately changed from Martin to Carmike, although without doing some research, I couldn't tell you when the name change occurred.

As to the 1982 date for Carl and Mike Patrick's takeover of Martin, that year is close, if not correct.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Martin was re-organized into 'Carmike' in 1984, at least that's the number I've heard kicked around.

Sign changes sometimes take time. I remember a theatre we closed in 2000 that still had an 'Excellence Theaters' awning over the door (though the marquee said Carmike).

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input.

I have some spring '84 newspaper ads from Nashville area theaters and they display what I think is a Martin logo, but I'm not certain. Does anyone recall the Martin logo? Was it a kinda curvy "M" with a "T" above it?

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 10:36 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go, Michael...

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: