Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strange Port Glass Reflections

Author Topic: Strange Port Glass Reflections
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 07:06 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed once in a while that we get a strange reflection on our screen. As the credits roll up, there is a dim but definitely noticeable mirror image rolling down. Also, if there are still words somewhere on the screen, that also gives a mirror image. It does not happen on all the screens and I am not sure that it happens with every movie. We are using optical glass in the ports. It seems somehow that the image is bouncing off the glass, back to the projector or lens, and back out again. Any ideas? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 07:17 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may have to pay attention to what's behind your screen. Those itty bitty holes in the surface let light through and create a dimmer version of the image on the wall behind the screen which is visible, especially from more direct viewing angles. Putting in black baffling, or just painting everything behind the screen flat black, is the cure for this.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 08:29 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's usually the speakers behind the screen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-2005 09:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From your description, the image is hitting the port glass, bouncing back to the projector, and then something reflective on the front of your projector...usually the turret...is reflecting the image back.

I've seen this in many Century projector installations, and frequently people have taken a black marker and inked out the entire silver portion of the turret to aleviate the problem.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing can happen with Victoria 5's in front of large ports. The makers plate on the motor is an effective reflector. The ghost image always tracks a bright object in a dark scene. Same cure. Paint it black.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 10:32 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this many times with many different projectors, but never when the glass is angled. Except for one theatre, where the theatre had the ports installed with the top edge instead of the bottom toward the auditorium against our wishes - his reasoning was that less dust could settle on the outside. Problem was that in one cinema it turned out that the projection angle was almost identical to the glass tilt. This phenomenon of the inverted image was very noticeable.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-07-2005 06:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick hit the nail on the head...odds are, your port glass is not angled or not angled opposite to the projector. That is, if your projector is pointing straight or down to the screen, the port should be angled such that any reflected image points to the ground (with coated glass it may only be a blue or puple image but that should be hitting the ground, not the back wall of the booth or worse, the theatre on the other side.

If you have double ports (something I think is essential to keep noise down), then they should be angled in opposite directions so they don't bounce off each other. Ideally, any reflection on the theatre side glass should hit the inside of the port and not get back into the booth.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like the answer Steve and Rick. The projectors are not angled at all. They shoot straight on. The glass is also not angled. Next time I am there, I am going to tilt the glass and see if it changes. Thanks guys. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: