Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super 8mm Meets 70mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8mm Meets 70mm
Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who may or is planning to be in the London UK area on Saturday 22nd October 2005 may be interested in a unique event being held at Ealing.

It is the British Film Collectors Convention (BFCC) next Film Fair to be staged at Ealing Town Hall, Ealing in West London.

The event is mainly for Super 8mm & 16mm Film/DVD collectors to meet and purchase equipment and film.

In the main Cinema for the day is (as claimed by the organizers) the largest Super 8mm screen and sound system to match!.

An added attraction at this event is the screening of 35mm & 70mm in the cinema.

The 70mm projection equipment will be a Westrex 5000 35/70mm Projector and a Dolby CP200 will be used at the screening

This year marks the 40th Anniversary of Super 8mm and the 50th of 70mm Todd-AO.

A screening of Trailers & Shorts on 70mm is being planned sometime in the late afternoon and further details and location and past 35/70mm screenings at Ealing can be found on the BFCC website

www.bfcc.biz

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-04-2005 05:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Blah...I dare those organizers to even try and outdo my old Super 8 rigs!!! Be sure and let me know what kind of projector, lamp power and screen size they end up using. [Razz]

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad typically they run an Elmo GS-1200 Xenon for Super 8mm.

Although I graduated to 35mm a while ago, I still have my GS1200 Xenon too, and it's a great machine and does a great job of making the best out of the tiny Super 8mm frame.

What Super 8 setup did you have?

Clive

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they'd show Boar Pigs, they'd have the best of both worlds. Experimental film shot in Super8 and projected on 15perf 70mm.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-04-2005 06:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Beaulieu 708EL Pro with Christie 2000 watt lamphouse behind it. [Big Grin]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-04-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just begging for a video. Brad simply must do a multiple-screen super-8 interlock at a drive-in, making sure to get SMPTE standard brightness on all screens. Better yet, interlock a drive-in and a nearby indoor house.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-04-2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm Scott, you are aware that an average length Super 8mm movie is only 2000 feet, right?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-04-2005 08:15 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ***STILL*** looking for a 70mm or a 35mm blow-up of the 8mm classic and GREAT film "Curse of the Queer Wolf"!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-04-2005 10:00 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why Scott said nearby and not far away!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 07:47 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they were at their previous venue the BFCC once did Super-8 on a screen of about 30 feet.

Somebody once built a 3 projector Cinerama setup with standard 8. I never actually saw it, but I have seen photographs.

I've run a Specto 9.5mm silent machine with a 45 degree mirror mounted in it to reflect the light from a 30 A carbon arc from my 609.

Going to the other extreme; how long will it be before someone installs IMAX at home.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 04:48 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They will be using the Elmo GS-1200 again, but with a new HTI Lamp.

The screen size at the BFCC is about 24' wide.

I am surprised that no one has added a DTS track to Super 8mm as it has been done with 16mm or has it been done.....

Stephen: If you had the space (me too) no doubt the former Imax Theatre at Bournemouth will sell off it's projection equipment soon as they intend to open the place as a Swimming Pool.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to IMAX co-CEO Rich Gelfond in numerous interviews, you can't afford an IMAX theater in your home unless you're Bill Gates or a sultan.

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2005 02:49 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben ;

I believe that they synchronize sound with a dvd or laserdisc ???
Have you an accurate information about this ???

In France, the "old" cine-club 9.5 mm had presented, a few years ago, anamorphic 9.5 (cinemascope !) on a 11 m widescreen ...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-08-2005 04:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann films in the UK actually has brand new Super 8mm prints available of many titles that were released in 35mm dts, such as Speed. I've always wanted to purchase one of those and record the timecode on track 2 of the 8mm print and use a commercial dts player for the audio (with a mono track 1 analog backup) just to be able to say I've done it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-08-2005 05:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While conversely, I've wanted to play a 2K DLP projector with the optical soundtrack (hopefully with some splice pops and other noises) in just plain mono. [Razz]

And while we are on the subject...why hasn't anyone recorded the runout goove on an LP (or "78") and let DTS play that endlessly if someone lets the film tail out instead of the traditional "da da da da, boom, boom, thump"). Likwise...when the movie starts, have the "needle dropping" sound play (perhaps with a little static from the run-in groove). Add a random pop or tick in there too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: