Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ordering Bulbs

Author Topic: Ordering Bulbs
Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 02:10 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly new to the world of projection so excuse me ignorance. I run a single screen theatre and we have been open under a year now. We only show films on the weekends plus press screenings and trade screenings during the week (we can do changeovers so they like us). Up until this point I have not had to think about having replacement bulbs for our projectors. Yes, I know that I should always have replacement bulbs on hand at all times but my owner isn't the best when it comes to this kind of thing. Anyways, we have a film fest coming up in the coming weeks and I need to make sure that I am prepared incase a bulb breaks or goes out. Problem is two fold: 1. I have never ordered bulbs before so I don't know where to do so at. 2. One of the morons that worked here before me threw away the boxes that our previous bulbs came in, giving me little to work with. We have Xetron XH-2000 housings. Any help you could give would be welcome. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-03-2005 02:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bulbs are available from all cinema dealers. Who do you normally get your cinema supplies (splicing tape, etc) from? They should also be able to get your bulbs for you.

Assuming this is a stock XH2000 and the bulbs are in without any adapters, here are the bulbs for that lamp:

Osram: XBO 2000W/H OFR

LTI: LTIX2000W/H

Christie: CXL20R

Ushio: UXL2000HR

Superior Quartz: SX20002

Of course be sure to check the bulb thats in there to see exactly what model it is.

-Aaron

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aaron,

We had our tech in the other day and had him look at what type of bulb it was and he said it was a SX 2002, so I'm assuming that he just missed one of the 0's and that it is the 'Superior Quartz: SX20002'

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-03-2005 02:46 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Aaron said, you should look on the bulb for the exact model. Several different bulbs fit in that lamp, but none over 3K. Most were designed to use with 'short' lamps, which means that I would double check it.

Patrick, if you provide the exact model and serial numbers of your lamphouses, I will look up in the records and at least see how it was configured when shipped.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Model Number for both lamphouses is 2000. The Type is XH15. The Serial Number for one is 2306, the other 2440.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-03-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron is correct; it was shipped with adaptors for the bulbs he listed above.

Both have 10" diameter reflectors, which unfortunately are no longer available. You would get a good improvement in light by replacing them with the 11" we sell. The installation requires some measuring, drilling, etc. but any good tech could do it.

Serial # 2306 was shipped to 'Roy Smith, Co.' on March 28, 1978 for use at the Ellisville Theatre. Serial # 2440 shipped on Oct 3, 1978 (27 years ago today!) There's no record of who purchased 2440, or where it originally went.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-03-2005 05:07 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 11 inch conversion is not that hard to do. Roy Smith was my concession syrup company supplier when I operated cinemas in the 1970's...nice guy, if he is still alive he must be 100 [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Big Sky conversion for those lamphouses is a bargain and will just about quadruple your light output We've sold tons of those and one of our cistomers won't even install a used Xetron lamnphouse with out the Big Sky kit in it before hand. It would be a bargain at twice the price!

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-03-2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have saved many, many Xetrons from the recycle bin with the Big Sky "conversion". MUCH light.....like putting new engines and props on an old airplane....like new. Louis

Gregory N. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 10:37 AM      Profile for Gregory N. Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Gregory N. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of interesting that the Big Sky reflector kit puts out all kinds of light. Neumade has the same reflector made by the same manufacturer, hence, same light output. In fact, if anyone is interested in buying our XHKIT11 with an 11" reflector (XH300159), Neumade will beat Big Sky's price by 10%. This kit completely replaces the old 10" reflector with spider and will give you an increase of 6 foot lamberts on screen (this fact is based on over 50 field replacements taking an average reading increase on screen).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-04-2005 11:18 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg: Agreed they are the same. Until recently I was unaware that you had this item; hence the reason that we have not ordered this. Good news on the price, too. Louis

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 08:29 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the Big Sky conversion?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: