Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 8-perf camera equipment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 8-perf camera equipment
Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 03:47 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to shoot VistaVision format for a short film. Rental is out of question because shooting will take very long. If you happen to have some vintage 8-perf camera equipment, maybe in need of restoration or reconstruction, sitting on a shelf, please contact me.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 05:20 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is in the wrong forum....Should be moved to Equipment Wanted....

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-27-2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark G built a VV projector about 100 years ago ... photos here. Maybe he can comment on a camera.

(Moving to FHF because it's not 8/70 or 15/70).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have the projector... that was a labor of love to build and certainly saw alot of use. I also have a VV camera. Its certainly usable although its not reflexed nor will it be, I can't justify throwing another 6 to 10K for even a basic reflex job into a dead format. Its actually the exact same type of camera that was used to shoot the early Paramount VV films, known as the "Lazy 8 Camera" it was originally a Stein two color camera that has been very heavily modified. It was converted to 3 pin reg by 20th Century Fox's camera dept. My camera is SN-2 and also has had the optical centerline corrected to standard VV C/L specs and to correct shutter position in regards to the aperature. The original Stein Conversions that were done at Paramount were not C/L corrected making the aperature coverage towards the edge of the circle of light that a given lens projects and also the shutter was offset in regards to the aperature. I also have a short set of Nikors for this camera. The main problem is that you're over there and I'm over here. Its also been sitting for quite a few years now and would have to be torn down and cleaned and lubed and flange depth set again. I will get it out and take some photos in the next couple of days, but I don't thik this is the sort of camera you're after... its also very heavy, about 45 lbs for the body alone and does require heavy duty support equipment... either a geared head or an O'Conner "100 type" fluid head!!

P.S. My original objective for the VV stuff was also to make a documentary....... Time is just a four letter word I guess.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-27-2005 11:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, see if you can find some Mitchell "Elephant Ears" VV cameras around....

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2005 11:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fries cameras builds VV cameras still on special order

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

sounds great! Weight is no matter, I will mail you off-forum tomorrow night because I am just leaving for location shooting (4-perf anamorphic only [Wink] )

C.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-28-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will be amazed as how sharp and grain free some of the new lower speed Kodak VISION2 color negative films are, especially the EI-100T 5212 and EI-50D 5201.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2005 02:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

With that new Kodak stock a VV to 15/70 blow up might look pretty good and could allow some of these fine cameras to be utilized a bit more than they are being used today. It would be ALOT cheaper than shooting 8 perf 65mm. I cold see doing a slight anamorphic verticle squeeze on the VV frame and blowing the VV frame to the full width of the 15 perf frame and let the anamorphic fill the 15 perf frame top to bottom..... Am just finishing a move but have dug the camera head out, just need to find the magazines and will post a couple of shots if it here later.

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-28-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even a full-frame Super-35 (camera image area 0.981 x 0.735 inches, per standard SMPTE 59) blow up to 15-perf 70mm might look darn good. Might open up more sync sound production, and give the camera mobilty it doesn't always have with 65mm.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-28-2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
45 lbs. for the body?!?! [Eek!]

That makes the Arriflex 16BL (with which I recently shot a short film) seem almost lightweight by comparison. My soundman was making fun of it and made a point of showing me his consumer video camera, which was smaller than the tripod head that I used with the 16BL.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
45 lbs. for the body?!?!

Yes, most VV cameras are quite heavy. A complete Mitchell Elephant ear with 2000 foot load is more like 125 lbs. Even the Mitchell Buterfly VV camera was about 30 lbs with motor and 400 foot load. One thing I have to say is thet my camera is certainly solid.

Mark

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2005 05:19 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first 35mm camera I operated was a Debrie Super Parvo Color, and it weighs 170 pounds (without film). But in its magnesium/lead blimp housing it certainly ran absolutely silent! [Big Grin]
So you won't hear me whining about a mere 45+ pounds... [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few photos..... Things yet to be done.... Dynamically balance the shutter, build or find a more heavy duty Nikor lens mount, anodize and paint, machine a mount for at least a standard Mitchell viewfinder. Camera runs good and is certainly capable of shooting film, the movement is in really nice shape and dead steady without the slight regestration problem that resides in the Mitchell 2 pin movements. I would estimate about 60 man hours to finish the stuff needed.

Camera with 18mm Nikor lens. Crystal motor drive is built into the base. 24 or 25 fps crystal or variable speed up to 32 fps.

-

Interior of camera

-

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2005 02:30 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Christian,
Try this company. www.arandafilm.com.au There is detailed information on the site about their 8-perf system.

While I'm here. Does anybody know where to find a Delrama camera anamorphic (1.5x) as used for the Technirama format?

Phil.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: