Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How the West Was Won in Cinerama (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How the West Was Won in Cinerama
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2005 12:44 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested, this film returns to the Cinerama Dome (Arclight Cinemas) in Hollywood for a one-week engagement beginning October 28, daily shows at 1:30pm and 7:30pm. Reserved seats go on sale October 6 through their online site. Arclight Cinemas

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul--

Will this be 3-strip, or 70MM?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-26-2005 02:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely 3-strip, using the new prints that were made by Crest Laboratories:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2002/htwww_screening/dome_screening.htm

quote:
How does "How the West Was Won" look and sound after all these years? Incredible! As all the original Cinerama prints had been made dye transfer by Technicolor and all the subsequent 35mm, 16mm, and video versions from inter negatives, the original had had little use, has been well stored, and the 5251 negative it was shot on has so far proven to have very good dye stability. I thought the print looked as good as a Technicolor IB without being so contrasty (IB freaks will vehemently disagree of course) and the timers and engineers at Crest Laboratories are to be congratulated for their work on all the Cinerama titles, perhaps deserving of a Sci-Tech or honorary Oscar?)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1346/is_10_47/ai_92042075

quote:
Warner Bros., which now owns How the West Was Won, had retained Henry to restore it. The movie was the last spectacular filmed in Cinerama, the grandiose, unwieldy film format that is celebrating its 50th anniversary this month. With its seven-track surround sound, Cinerama was grandfather to THX and Dolby; with its three-projector, 126-foot-wide screen, it was great-uncle to IMAX. Introduced in 1952, it was prone to so many logistical difficulties and cost overruns that it lasted only ten years--vanquished by 65- and 70-millimeter wide-screen, its saner if less spectacular competitors.

Today only two commercial theaters in the world can exhibit Cinerama. Refurbished as the centerpiece of the new Arclight Theater complex in Hollywood, the 1963 geodesic Cinerama Dome was designed for Cinerama but never took delivery of the proper cameras for the declining format, and so never in its history did it screen a Cinerama film. Only recently did the Dome salvage a set of projectors from a defunct Cinerama palace in Hawaii. The Dome will begin its first Cinerama program this month, in time for the anniversary The other venue is Seattle's Cinerama Theater, owned by Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen (who funded the West restoration).

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-26-2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Today only two commercial theaters in the world can exhibit Cinerama...

...The other venue is Seattle's Cinerama Theater

Have they forgotten Bradford, or is that not considered a commercial theater? I suppose that would depend on how you define the term.

Has anyone here been to all three of the 'new' Cinerama venues? How do they compare to each other, and to the originals? How about the temporary one in Dayton? I went to one of the three original ones in London, but I was very young, and I don't really remember anything about it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-26-2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what happened to the equipment in Dayton, Ohio, now that John Harvey is sick. (I sold John the complete St Louis Cinerama booth, less projector heads. I then found 2 heads for him from Indianapolis.) Louis

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 09:55 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe John's equipment went to a private buyer in Columbus, Ohio

Roger Manning Jr
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Roger Manning Jr   Email Roger Manning Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I went on nov. 2 over all it was a good show, picture was great but the sound was not.
There was static coming from the left side for 90% of the show other than that it was ok.
I'd give it a 5 out of ten.
Roger

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 12:35 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw it on the Saturday show. The left-center speaker definitely distorted (cackled) on loud passages. The center panel also had vertical scratches running down the right hand side of the frame (were not there when i saw this print two years ago). Just how many times and places could this print have showed?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 02:59 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not here in Bradford that's for sure!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 04:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...on a side topic of Cinerama: Here's the soundtrack LP of "Windjammer" - Filmed in Cinerama's long-lost cousin called Cinemiracle ...

-

-Monte

Roger Manning Jr
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 09:01 AM      Profile for Roger Manning Jr   Email Roger Manning Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The static I heard was constant even in the soft passages, It got louder as the film went on. Then at the start of the 2nd half it was gone then it started again and got louder as the film went on.
Roger

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 09:50 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to the Seattle and LA Cineramas and saw HTWWW 2 years ago in LA. It was perfect then. I think I like the LA theater better. Seemed a little plusher. I sure like the reserved seating

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 10:55 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
I believe John's equipment went to a private buyer in Columbus, Ohio
If it's the same person I'm thinking of, he's been slowly selling off all of John's equipment and films on ebay for the past year. A prologue for Seven Wonders of the World and the breakdown reel for This is Cinerama just sold for over $900 each last week.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those two pieces went to a buyer in Germany. There is a Cinerama projector sync box and part of a three channel fader box now.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 10:29 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Those scratches were there when I saw it two years ago. Must have been scratched between the time you saw it and the time I saw it. It's a real shame too. It's hard enough to try and ignore the seam lines. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: