Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Does Goldberg own the market for small reels?

Author Topic: Does Goldberg own the market for small reels?
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2005 08:34 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or does Goldberg run the roost when it comes to 24" to 28" reels? I've heard that an Italian manufacturer (Cinemattica?) makes, or used to make, giant reels for double mutt systems... but do they make smaller ones too? Just curious. It seems there would be a little more diversity in the reel buying market.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-25-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Neumade also makes reels as does Hollywood Film Company.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-26-2005 06:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of variety, Goldberg does indeed have a lock in the USA.

Neumade does have a couple of reels to offer.

For split reels there are yet more offerings, including Hollywood Film Company (they might also make some shipping reels), Neumade and others.

The reel market is a small one, particularly these days.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 07:06 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Chilton
I've heard that an Italian manufacturer (Cinemattica?) makes, or used to make, giant reels for double mutt systems
I have used Cinemeccanica 6k and 13k reels (for use on tower systems)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-27-2005 08:24 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK, Philip Rigby (this company doesn't have a website AFAIK) also make running spools. Jack Roe also sells them - I don't know whether they manufacture in-house or use an external supplier.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 09:50 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo

By coincidence the new Rigby catalogue landed on my desk today and surprise surprise they have entered the 21st century.

Click here for their website

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be VERY warey of any "new" Goldberg stuff that you might buy, especially theor large reels. The center hubs on them have a tendency to fall apart. Keep in mond that this is on stuff manufactured in about the last two years. We have large Goldbergs that are 15 plus years old that are just fine. A few years back they made some major changes in the machinery at the plant and what ever they changed in the manufacturing of the center hub has pretty much ruined it for most. They also will not stand behind their products, even on such a simple problem such as this and hence Goldberg rates a zero with me.

I would be far more inclined to import large reels if needed or purchase another brand or which there are a few around.

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-27-2005 07:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neumade's split reels get my vote. [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-27-2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Mark's comments. I bought a pair of split reels from Goldberg a couple of years ago and not only were they unwilling to stand behind blatantly defective workmanship from the day they arrived, but in less than 2 years time they have both busted apart. I have also heard way too many similar stories lately.

Goldberg has lost my business and recommendations except for their "show shipper" platter reel.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-28-2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
By coincidence the new Rigby catalogue landed on my desk today and surprise surprise they have entered the 21st century.
Well bugger me with a soldering iron! I never thought that would happen. I note that their website doesn't give prices, though - in the last Rigby catalogue I saw they were an absolute joke - something like £5 for a 3" core and, if I remember correctly, a bin at £200.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bugger me with a soldering iron!
[Eek!]
[fu]
[puke]
[Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: