Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Average wage of a projectionist with tech responsibilites? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Average wage of a projectionist with tech responsibilites?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious if anyone cared to share what the average projectionist with some tech responsibities would make? What I mean by SOME tech responsibilities is swapping out the occasional bad component, rebuilding old parts, ordering new parts, bulb changing, booth supervision/training as well as being called at home when something breaks. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what they make, but maybe just an average figure. Would you charge milage to your theater if you lived a substantial distance away and were called during your off time? I'm trying to get a feel for what a position of this type should be paid.

Thanks..

|  IP: Logged

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about $15 an hour if the person is qualified to do the things you listed, and no mileage but possibly door to door hourly wage if called in during off time? That's off the top of my head, I suspect the pay would be less at least to start and a person is probably worth more than that in the long run but good luck getting it...many theatres don't respect and will not pay well for projection skills.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats only $31,200 per year. Not bad in the rust belt, but poverty level in other places.

In my opinion, a good projectionist should match a competant manager's yearly gross.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True but I'll bet you won't find many managers below the general manager making much more than that either. Not in the midwest anyway...

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 08:52 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm all for paying for good help, as it is now, they get under $9/hr. Talk about poverty...

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-24-2005 09:12 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here a couple of years ago I had a job with duties like that for $14 an hour to start. So $15 sounds/feels about right, for here anyway.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-25-2005 12:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kinda curious....what part of the country that $32K/yr is poverty level...? Brother, if that area's average salary in then $64K to stay afloat, sounds like the cost of living is tremendous (is this California...?).

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-25-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

I know in the DC Metro area that $32K is going to make life pretty miserable...not that it isn't doable but it is going to be slumming unless you live with others and don't want/need too much in life. Better not have a family with that income either.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2005 01:21 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Last year I grossed around $18000 but I've since gotten a raise so it should be more so long as our new managers keep my hours full [Smile]
I do lamps, maintenance (cleaning, oil change, lamp rotation, etc.), platter timing (AW3's), some troubleshooting, and whatever other odd jobs need getting done around the booth and fit my scope of knowledge/experience.
Previously I've filed aperture plates and helped install TA10's at other theaters.
I live in Merced, CA. in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley. While that income isn't much with low bills it can be lived off of here.
Of course, costs are going up, and if you manage more screens you really should be compensated well over $10/hr.
Hope that help.
--Dom

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already know I'm underpaid to a point... [Roll Eyes] Even though I got a raise this year. I'm lucky that my husband makes good money and we have a roommate. [Wink]

I get just under $9/hr. Which for my company is pretty good. I am the booth manager's assistant so when she's not there I'm her... (I do bulb changes. Platter timing and the like are done monthly and I do this with the booth manager.) [Smile] Other projectionists/managers who do minimal maintenance get just under $8/hr.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the booth Super/shift manager of a small 5 screen, I make $9.60/hr now but my company has a good raise program.(I can change bulbs, Run the film-guard [Wink] fix non major repairs, diagnose problems, time plattes, and vacuum the booth [Wink] ) Every 2 months your eligible for a raise. Its up to you how much your going to get. If your doing well in all areas and your going to get a nice raise. If not well, you got no one to blame but yourself. I will be capped out in less then a year though. Which will be $10.50/hr.

I also work a second job loading FedEx trucks in the mornings, and that pays $8.00/hr for 4-5 hours of work every morning tues-sat.

Last year I brought in $22,500 That was also before I got a few raises so that should be up a little this year.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-25-2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll do okay with a $32K annual salary in my area of the country. Living costs in Oklahoma are pretty low. Still, you better not have a family to support on that income -at least not one without two incomes. Single parent families in my area often endure some bad financial ordeals.

On the bright side, for the long term that is, one of the fastest growing segments of our population is single people without kids. The medical industry and child care and products industry (along with the higher education industry) is pricing parenthood beyond the reaches of many. I have no kids (or ex wives either). A few years ago I thought about being a father very seriously. Now I think such a move would bankrupt me.

What does that have to do with salaries and dollar buying power? Our economy is eventually going to have to adjust high prices of all sorts of things back down within reach of single income houseolds. We'll either see some serious levels of inflation where salaries are forced upward to adjust with costs of living. Or we'll see serious levels of price deflation. And that may be more likely. I think a housing price bust is going to nail more than a few coastal markets.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-26-2005 12:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost kinda points to that this industry isn't the greatest place to earn a decent living, unless you're young and free.

The only exception is either being a qualified tekkie, or a megaplex manager - and job that is outside of the home office.

Is it a sad and unfortunate thing if some of us love what we do and not get the bucks deserved?

-Monte

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2005 02:14 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to do ALL tech service at my location with the exception of A-chain PMs. What I make is considerably lower than the quotes mentioned here, but I am getting excellent experience out of the deal, so I guess its a matter of trade-off.

[ 09-26-2005, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-26-2005 03:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
In my opinion, a good projectionist should match a competent manager's yearly gross
Course, I could "accidently" fester up a healed wound of a topic on this statement real bad (and not meaning to), and I don't want to get in trouble for this, but when I was in the IA, we were getting paid almost DOUBLE than the managers of certain theatres.

I really was "under the gun" with some of this after the IA contracts had expired and the theatre circuit, that I was working with, allowed me to keep my union scale wage and working agreements, of 6hr, half-day shifts and overtime-as if the contract was still in effect.

I made some fat dough doing this since I worked mainly the doubles each day, plus whatever there was to do before noon and after midnight to get the overtime. I only took one day off at the time-hey,I was free and single and no social life to worry about (LOL), so why not be constructive and make some dough while I had the chance?

Then, one year, a new manager came into our town to take over on a transfer and he raised holy hell to the home office due to that I was making almost twice as much as he was, and I fought back with my boss on this mentioning that this pin-headed of a manager didn't know an inkling on what I knew. He tried to crank me out of the agreement that I was allowed to have and take away the overtime thing as well. He tried to limit my working time down to 35hrs/wk, but I fought him hard on this. It took a couple of months to absolve this problem, but I won out since that pin-headed manager hated our area anyway and the assistant manager took over duties. He really appreciated me of my skills, since he didn't want those kinds of responsibilities anywho.

He was glad that I was there to run the place...totally from the roof down to the basement-to fix the swampcoolers to the coal furnace.

Fun days those were - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: