Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Frames or cells?

Author Topic: Frames or cells?
Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 01:46 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually go in for finger-wagging, but...
Twice in the last week I've seen the word "cells" used on this board to mean frames of film.
quote:
Whoever had that Dr. No print last most probably was an Ebay cell chopper.
quote:
Splicing together black cells [title of thread]
Is this legit? Never heard it used like that before. I did some searching and found the word "cells" is being employed by what I'm guessing is a recent cottage industry - selling mounted strips of 35mm film as movie memorabilia. Perhaps they adopted the word from "cels" (spelled that way): animation drawings painted on celluoid, which have been marketed for years. Just a hunch, but if that's where it comes from, I vote we banish it from here! Or am I wrong and has the word got respectable parentage?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-23-2005 05:13 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct. Louis

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cells are paintings on acitate used to make cartoons. Frames are the individual pictures on a roll of film.

Heath Dutton
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Heath Dutton   Email Heath Dutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree... We put criminals in "cells", we get cancer from using "cells", bacteria are made up of "cells", battery acid leaks from "cells"...

But FRAMES... they keep our houses together, protect our family photos and they are spelled the way they sound!

frames > cells

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-23-2005 08:55 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Furthermore, the preferred spelling for an animation cel is "cel," not "cell" (but if you go by the dictionary, "cell" is ok; many disagree).

--jhawk

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
A slight aside: does anybody else snicker at the inflated prices people pay for Disney "sericels"? These are not used-in-filming animation cels, but silkscreen prints on cel-like plastic sheets.

I love the description of their creation onb the "cartoon-factory.com" site:

"In keeping with the original animation technique, the paint is applied to the back side of the cels. As each color is applied, the image comes to life, capturing your favorite characters in an affordable, limited edition serigraph artwork."

In other words, they print 'em just like your favorite T-shirt is printed!

And they want $295 for one printed "in an edition of 2,500" and [gasp] $1650 for one from a "limited edition of 500"!!

Other cels are printed by the fine art of "Giclée" - that means they run 'em off on a computer printer! "Four precision nozzles spray up to a million microscopic droplets per second on to fine art paper."

I get my favorite silk-screen-prints from www.tshirthell.com for a lot less.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 01:47 AM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wayne Keyser
Other cels are printed by the fine art of "Giclée" - that means they run 'em off on a computer printer! "Four precision nozzles spray up to a million microscopic droplets per second on to fine art paper."
Would that be a lithograph???

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 02:18 AM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not the "fake cels."

But the backgrounds they're matted with are lithographed. You know, like those incredibly valuable posters by Toulouse-Lautrec. And your daily newspaper.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 02:22 AM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I was just wondering as I have 3 lithographs of artwork for 3 different Dreamworks films... Still learning things out there.... [Wink]

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 03:21 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a for-real, honest-to-God cel from "101 Dalmatians". My parents bought it at Disneyland in the 60s - I think they paid $4 for it.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-24-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid growing up in Hollywood in the early '60s my stepdad at the time brought home several production cels from Hanna Barbera, which were hung on the walls in my room. Wonder where those went? They're probably worth a fortune to some collector these days.

Studio Ghibli in Japan has followed Disney's lead and gotten into selling limited-edition cel and background sets of scenes from their most popular titles. Very pricey--definitely out of my league. Actual Ghibli production cels were hard to come by since they would have to be snuck out of the studio by a staffer, or given as gifts to friends or associates.

And now of course there are no production cels at all since Ghibli switched over to scanning the drawings directly to computer for ink & paint and cleanup. The two monsterous multi-plane cameras in the basement at the studio are now used only for some background photography.

I make do collecting the next best thing--theatre posters and art books and 35mm trailers (actually only one so far) and strips of frames from 35mm prints. No I'm not a 'cell chopper' nor would I ever buy from one. These strips of frames come from the studio's art museum in Mitaka in the western suburbs of Tokyo, and are used as admission tickets.

[ 10-27-2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: