Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » question about intermittent

Author Topic: question about intermittent
Daniel Weber
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Daniel Weber   Email Daniel Weber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question,, was a high-speed intermittent ever made for the E-7?
or could one made for newer simplex picture heads fit?

extra info..
I have an old (but steady) E-7 on a SH1020 that I use to screen workprints that I shoot myself. The other day I made a 5 blade shutter from a sheet of aluminum (on my lathe) in effort to get a good transfer to ntsc video. The shutter openings are just slits from the saw blade. The video is flicker free but has ghosting. I can't adjust it out, it seems the intermittent needs more than 72 degrees of shutter rotation to complete pull down.

Thanks,
Dan

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-22-2005 02:54 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a production item doubtful...special high speed movements where designed after the E-7 went out of production...there where telecines built using Brenkert and Simplex XL machines.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-22-2005 03:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there was at one time a high speed movement for the E7 it was made by Tommy Hoade in Toronto for Telecines at the CBC and I believe he made several

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2005 03:15 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GE used the E-7 in their TV systems in the late 40's. The intermittent was modified with a small version of the Power's pin cross movement. I had one at once but let it go.

The machine had different gearing for the intermediate gear and a sync motor driving a SH-1000. The shutter was driving form the sync motor shaft not from the projector. There were other modifications to the projector that I forget.

I don't know if GE or Simplex did the mods. Some Cameron books of the period show a set-up like this at TV station WGY. Finding one would be very difficult and converting a theatre version even harder.

Dick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-22-2005 08:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brenkert(RCA) had exactly the same type of movement in their "Brenkert" TV projector. I've seen several of those E-7's around and there was one for sale on E-Bay a few years ago.....

Daniel,
If you run the sound head with a sync motor and the correct gearing and line sync your TV camera it should work just fine.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-22-2005 10:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just use a 24P videocamera and any shutter you desire.

Peter Brown
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Peter Brown   Email Peter Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Can you give any suggestions where a 24P video camera might be purchased?

Thanks,
Pete.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-23-2005 05:06 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
was a high-speed intermittent ever made for the E-7...I made a 5 blade shutter... in effort to get a good transfer to ntsc video.
It's not just a 5-bladed shutter that makes a telecine. This is a common misconception. You have to reconcile the difference between 24 frames and 30 frames per second.

The secret to telecines is that their 5-bladed shutters spin at 720 rpm (half the normal speed), AND they're geared to an intermittent which is operating in an eccentric, 3:2 pulldown fashion... also at 720 rpm. (Note, a high-speed intermittent is not a telecine intermittent.)

This eccentric pulldown is usually accomplished in the Geneva movement by a cam with two lobes, 133 deg.(?) apart (standard movement has just one lobe), so there are TWO frame advancements per rotation of the cam/shutter combination. The uneven spacing between the pulldowns create a perfect 3-field/2-field cycle. The end result is: frame one is projected three times; frame two is projected twice; frame three is projected three times; frame four is projected twice, and so on. This is how 24 becomes 30.

If you put a 5-bladed shutter in a projector with a 1440 rpm intermittent, you will have just one frame advancement per revolution of the shutter... when you actually need 2.5 at 720rpm.

The reason the shutter alone is looking pretty good right now is because it's producing 120 flashes per second, which is agreeing with your camera... but the frame pulldowns aren't synchronized with the video raster (which is what the eccentric intermittent accomplishes).

I won't complicate matters by going into the realities of color sub-carriers, 60Hz line, and 29.97 fps -- or the fact that some projectors (like XLs) created the eccentric pulldown differently -- but the basic concept is as described above.

Simple! [Razz]

Daniel Weber
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 08:31 AM      Profile for Daniel Weber   Email Daniel Weber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, an excuse to buy a 24p camera...

I'm not trying for perfect telecine, just ok to burn to dvd with the 24fps LTC from the 35mm mag (it's an interlock thingy)
More easy to do the audio post from the dvd.

The sound card in the computer audio work station has external word clock in (antex studio card)and the midi sync box (motu timepiece av) makes word clock from incoming LTC.

Thanks for all the good info.

Dan

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that 24P video actaully runs at 23.97 fps. check out adamwilt.com for an in depth look at 24p video. Going from film to 24p may still require a pull down.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: