Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carmike Movietunes Problems

Author Topic: Carmike Movietunes Problems
Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2005 08:22 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I was just wondering if anybody employed by everyone's favorite theatre chain had any Movietunes problems. I have a feeling we (the chain) recently started receiving the CD-R format instead of the standard silver CD. (A couple months ago I looked at one that appeared normal.) Just last month our CD player displayed "No Disc" about half way through the program. This month, we're lucky if it plays for 10 minutes. These past two disks were definitely the CD-R format. Does anybody our there know when Carmike's version switched to CD-R? Was it last month?

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2005 10:43 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been recieving normal CD's for as long as I can remember.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like they're duping them in-house. Cute.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, these are sent directly from Movie Tunes. In fact, the label side has the normal logo/text and even looks like a normal silver CD. Only when you look at the data side is it evident the disk is a CD-R. I find it strange that Dustin is receiving normal CDs while we're receiving the CD-Rs.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-22-2005 07:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe your disk has ads which are specific to your market? If so, I could imagine that it wouldn't be cost-effective to press a handful of disks.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be complaining about a defective Movietunes disk. I would expect that to be a cause for celebration, not concern.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 02:30 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Maybe your disk has ads which are specific to your market? If so, I could imagine that it wouldn't be cost-effective to press a handful of disks.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be complaining about a defective Movietunes disk. I would expect that to be a cause for celebration, not concern.

I agree.

"Oh damn it broke, no movie tunes today, shucks"

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 06:46 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today the CD player stopped playing standard CDs as well. I guess it wasn't the CD-Rs that were the problem. On the other topic, though, you're probably right about the ad-specific versions. Thanks for your help.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Movietunes discs we received during my time at Marcus Theaters were CD-R format as well. Jarryd, many older (and even some newer, cheaper) CD players will not play these discs. My Philips DVD circa 1998 will not read CD-R's, for example. What type of CD player are you using?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2005 03:22 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably a courousel type changer as moth booths have.
I've noticed that those types of players are sensitive and collect dust very quickly.
I recently drug out our old one and fixed it simply by cleaning the laser head with alchohol and a swab.
Give that a shot if all else fails.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the Sony CDP-261 CD player here. It's just a simple one-disc deck. We haven't tried opening it up to clean the lens. With the Union in the booth, it's always a question as to who's duty it may fall under. Our District Manager suggested the possibility of putting a DVD player in place. I'd like to avoid the confusion that may be caused by having no on-screen display. But, the truth is, a DVD player can be bought at a fraction of the price of a CD deck.

As a side note, I've relocated to the Asst. Manager position at Cinema 5 in downtown State College. Once a twin built in the late 60's, it's gone through several ownerships such as Associated, Cinemette, Cinema World, and finally Carmike. We've been trying to make improvements around here since early July. (The entire previous staff was canned.) The place was a dump, but three months and over 100 compact florescent bulbs later, we've really cleaned the place up. Soon, I hope to get some pictures made available. Right now, most of you would shit yourselves if you saw the booth; what a mess! Maybe in weeks or months to come.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: