Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » W.E. U-Base On Turner Classic Movies

Author Topic: W.E. U-Base On Turner Classic Movies
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 02:57 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an interesting note. Turner Classic Movies has been running a biography they produced about Garbo.

Anyhow, when they are discussing her transition from silents to sound, they included some extensive historic booth footage of the U-Base in action.

Footage shows a c/o booth with two projectionists (one per machine). Also included was some good close-ups of the projector and disc recording in action...including the Vitaphone disc cue marks.

The footage is probably a few minutes long, or somewhere there abouts.

Cheers

K

|  IP: Logged

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm restoring a U base now (Geez is that thing Freakin heavy!). The base & soundhead were easy. Getting all the turntable parts & the model 49 pre-amp were, shall we say, expensive but, got all my box-o-parts & will spend the winter putting it back together. Got a few vitaphone Discs so I'll be able to play the audio when done. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-19-2005 08:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fred Georges
I'm restoring a U base now (Geez is that thing Freakin heavy!). The base & soundhead were easy. Getting all the turntable parts & the model 49 pre-amp were, shall we say, expensive but, got all my box-o-parts & will spend the winter putting it back together. Got a few vitaphone Discs so I'll be able to play the audio when done.

Fred,
I still remember the days when there were many U-bases laying around the booths in Chicago and the burbs... they were all free for the taking, usually those running the theatres were glad to get rid of them, or 50 bucks did the trick! Had several of them at one time plus I got the entire W.E. booth(and spkrs) out of the old Times Theatre on north Milwaukee av.... At that time the location was a dance hall and they had placed a wall in front of where the speaker was standing... had to climb over that wall to get the drivers out! First month production Motiograph model K's and WE TA7400 reverse scan sound heads.... before I pulled everything out I turned on all the switches in the fuse panel and everything still worked... it had baan sitting over 30 years unused! Now that locaction is a bus turn around station! There were still three or four U-bases in the Montclair Theatre in various states in a side room just off the booth last time I was in there. Mr. B. and I each got a U-base from on old theatre just a few blocks south of where his loft was at. We got the machines one day and thought about going back and looking for more stuff the next day..... a couple of days later we did go back and down the hall from the booth was another room with two turntables. Mr B. took his U-base to the dump for some unknown reason... but he did keep the TT. I eventually dragged mine out here to Utah.

Mark

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 09:27 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first full time booth had U bases & Simplex standards. Ran them for 2 years before we "Modernized" with Brenkert Bx 80's & 9030's. The WE's were quaint & I wasn't sorry to see them go but, In my old age I'm feeling Nostalgic so am wasting My dough putting this thing back in original condition. All I can say is I'll be laughing when I'm dead for the poor Bastard who's going to have to pull that thing out of My Basement! Here's to you whoever you are! LoL [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: