Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » V10 Reader Finally a reality!

Author Topic: V10 Reader Finally a reality!
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 02:07 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All,
It has been almost a year I have been looking everywhere for a reverse scan LED reader for V10 projectors. Finally in collaboration with another collegue in Cyprus we managed to modify a V5 model reader from BACP and incorporating it on a V10 with the best of results. It needs some modification also on the exciter lamp side (now reader side) as the L shaped bracket which holds the existing exciter needs to be raised a bit for the reader to be able to aling properly with the LED. the LED on the other hand cannot be lowered enough to be able to install it without modifying the exciter side. Also the locator pins on the projector need to be hammered out so it creates a free movement on the reader and led to be able to adjust it properly (but the tighten it). It is not the best of the view as we are not professionals in custom making but it does the job. I will try to upload some photos later on this weekend so everyone can see and maybe incorporate in their own cinemas. By the way. BACP readers are really great (ok I am not advertising but they are). The LEDs on the reader help the installed to perfectly align the reader with the LED and the channel seperation even on the shitiest Home Theater amplifier used as a cinema processor !(yes we do have cinemas in Cyprus using Home Theater amplifiers for DOLBY!!) sound truly great. A way to go to Sam. I will try to upgrade some photos this weekend.
Best Regards
D

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2005 03:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VIC-10..... This was always my favorite Cinemecanica projector... built like a tank and as heavy as a DP-70!! Glad you were able to get one adapted. Keep that machine up and running as long as you can!!

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2005 10:50 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Here we go.
I think the resizing screwed the picture quality but here it goes:

-

Here u can see the LED bracket which needed to be modified. Because the theater was about to start a show at the time I visited it, I could not removed the drum cover and put it back in place but I think it looks quite good.

-

Here u can see the Reader side of the V10 which had to be modified to be lifted a bit up and also moved a bit forward in order to compensate for focussing. The advantage to this machine is that the L shaped exciter assemply bracket is reversed unlike the V4/5/8 models.

-

And WALLA. LED's Shining bright!!! This theater never sounded the same again.
Best Regards
D

Matt Hollis
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2005 12:02 PM      Profile for Matt Hollis   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hollis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your upgrade.

Matt

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I upgraded all my exciter bulbs to BACP readers with fantastic results...easy to install, sound great, and problem free.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-18-2005 02:08 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demteris,

Do you have a photo with the sound drum bell removed? I'm not clear what you did different to mount the reader to the mounting bar.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 08:53 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
The Semicircular part which holds the LED has not been touched at all.
 -

If you look closely in the picture, you can see that I used an original Mono bracket of the V10, cut it, put an extra piece of metal to lower the bracket as to bring the LED straight to the reader, cut that one and mount the semicircular part exactly as it was on the original V5/8 bracket. It fitted perfectly with no problem. The only hustle is that the LED cannot be lowered enough therefore I was forced to raise the reader side up. Also the Reader bracket could not bring the reader to the required focussing distance so it had to be moved both up and forward to compensate. Unfortunately I don't have a picture with the drum out but I will get one soon for you to see.
D

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BACP is listing a new V10 reader on its website.

BACP pricelist

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-19-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I got ahead of myself on that model and made brackets to fit the V10 but my information was wrong so when I fitted it to an actual V10 I found it would not fit. I would take it off the site, but my webmaster died (for real) and I have not got to his people to take it elsewhere.

I have never gotten back to the project as there are so few V10's in the world.

The Bauer U3 is an example of a reader model I did complete and never got even one order.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-19-2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V-10, which was imported to the USA by Joe Hornstein (before the V-4/5/8/18 by Carbons/Xetron), varied from machine to machine. We had a set of factory blueprints with notations of changes from serial number to number.....Outside of the Northeast USA, there where a couple of handfuls in Miami...nice tanks [Wink]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Sam,
What do u think. Will u finally be able to do one for this monsters? It can be done. U just need to put a blueprint down and do them. By the way. The L shaped exciter lamp bracket, needed to be cut a bit and also drill the lateral adjustment hold a bit more as the reader refused to come at the desired lateral position.
D

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-19-2005 03:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were about a half dozen pairs down in Texas too. Both my pair of V-10's were from Texas, one pair from a theatre in Lubbock. One pair that I had incorporated standard solid flywheel rotary stabilizers but the second pair actually had magnetic stabilization much like the Century R-2 had. So yes there were differences. The neat thing about the sound reproducer is that it can be unbolted from the main frame of the projector as one piece. The flywheels of both sets were completely enclosed too. Overall they are one of the heaviest built Italian machines I've ever seen..... and all cast iron too.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-19-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a V10 soundhead from Canada, just no time to develop it. I had a slightly different idea which would not require the mounting bar to be moved and allow the reader to stay in its normal 9 O'clock position.

There are so few, it's had to get my machinist to drop more lucrative pursuits for this project that does need doing.

This is the same man who does the floor tracking systems which are going full tilt right now with people trying to cram a Christie/Barco alongside a film projector.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2005 04:52 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
That is not possible. The Drum "pole" does not allow the LED reader to lower enough as to have it 9 o'clock position so it has to be higher than that. This also creates a problem as I explained previously that the Reader side has to be lifted up and pulled forward to compensate both for hight and focussing

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 02:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the lateral exciter (now reader) adjustment screw does not fit the V5 reader mounting bracket. I had to file it a bit in order to be able to have that adjustment. Keep that into mind as well.
D

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: