Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lord of War Mixed Leaders

Author Topic: Lord of War Mixed Leaders
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure everyone else playing Lord of War received the fax from Technicolor regarding the mixing of leaders on some of the reels.
According to the memo only 2 cases were caught but we should all be on the lookout just in case.
To aid in reel identification the fax included images of the head and tail frames for each reel.
This would make sense if they were at all legible.
Obviously they were color images but I certainly don't have a color fax and I'd be willing to be most don't.
I think a suggestion to good ol' Technicolor is in order, but how much can really be done to improve reel ID frames being sent via fax?

P.S. Did anyone actually get a defective reel with an incorrect leader?
--dom

|  IP: Logged

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why they just can't put the scanned image of the frames on some web space, and include the web address in the fax they send out. I'm running a sneak peak tonight, and I'm afraid I wont get a chance to watch it before it's run. My fingers are crossed.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-15-2005 03:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
I think a suggestion to good ol' Technicolor is in order, but how much can really be done to improve reel ID frames being sent via fax?
A lot. Putting a web link to where the same images could be seen online would work well.

edit: either I took a really long time to post that or I just missed Alex's post entirely

Starting with a greyscale image, and not a photocopy of the colour images is important too, but most theatres have crappy low resolution fax machines anyway.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-15-2005 03:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The ID frames for that will be available on this site later this evening.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they wouldnt dare post images online. the film pirates would have a field day. at least, im sure thats that the distributor would think. just like they think that camera phones can be used to pirate their crap too. boneheads!

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 01:35 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alex Grueneberg
I don't understand why they just can't put the scanned image of the frames on some web space, and include the web address in the fax they send out.
That would make a difference but still wouldn't help little guys like me with no internet access from the theater.

I think reducing the resolution, lightening dark frames, and dumping it to gray scale before faxing would help.
Perhaps maybe next time they should include a short description of what each frame looks like?
Sure they included the reel footages as well but what about the majority of theaters that don't have a footage counter?
Not to mention that was barely legible as well.

--dom

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a reason why they can't put the reel ID sheet in with the film cans?

quote: Brian Hogan
they wouldnt dare post images online. the film pirates would have a field day.
How would a film pirate benifit from the reel ID frames on the internet?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-16-2005 03:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I still say on the picture edge sprockets between every 4th perforation there should be printed the reel number. Not only would it ensure identification of a reel to the point that anyone with zero booth experience could utilize, but it would also serve as a nice frameline reference (even if they weren't actually ON the frame line.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-16-2005 03:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..like in the olden days when Technicolor used to put both the "A" and "B" roll letter in as well as the footage count of each roll on the edge of the film of each reel.

Old Metrocolor used to do the same as Technicolor with the roll/footage markings...

With this it was a snap to figure out the exact running time of these features that had this markings, plus if the leads were taken off without "reference" frames, the leads still had these markings...

-Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-16-2005 04:02 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the labs were indeed working on a way of printing reel ID between the perfs, as announced at a recent Inter-Society meeting at ShoWest.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: