Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cue Tape Availability

Author Topic: Cue Tape Availability
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2005 01:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've searched out suppliers list of cue tape that they offer, and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. A while back, our tech gave us some Copper or Broze cue tape, and compared to the Silver or Nickel cue tape that we have, it worked everytime on a print that was ran for more than 2 or 3 weeks. Even up to 8. The Silver or Nickel cue tape seems to need to be replaced about every week depending on the number of times the print is run. The tech says that he got the cue tape (it wasn't pre-cut) from a theatre that was closing in Mass. or somewhere in New England, and that it came from a supplier by the name of Pheonix Cinema Supplies or something. Does anyone know where or who I can direct my supplier to to get some?

BTW I think the main reason our cues need to be replaced so much is cause they are foil placed on plastic. I've had some prints come in with cues on them that were Silver or Nickel, and they didn't have the plastic on them, and were extremely hard to removed. I finally gave up on one print, and it turned out they worked just fine for the entire time we had the print which was about 3-4 weeks.

|  IP: Logged

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2005 02:26 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Various electronic supply places sell copper foil tape. Google "copper tape" and you will find it. I never used it myself. Once in a while a print will come in with cues someone made from really thick copper tape that are a big pain to remove, but if you find a type that can be peeled off easily let me know.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-12-2005 02:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get the Jack Roe precut foil tape tabs if you can use them with your cue detectors. They are solid metal foil with adhesive backing, and last for weeks on end.

-Aaron

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2005 02:35 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have to look into that myself. I've tried all sorts of tricks like placing clear tape over the cue tape, but they always would start failing after a couple of weeks.

I cannot stand cue tape that fails, because that means bad presentation whenever that happens.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-12-2005 06:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phoenix Cinema Specialties, Inc.
P.O. Box 145
Mount Airy, MD 21771-0145
301-831-7360
Fax 301-253-1941

You need have looked no farther than the Film-Tech dealer links to find this information.

Yes, they sold copper tape (and probably still do...either in roll or precut form).

A lot of what makes a foil last is the cue detector itself...some read better than others with the mechanical, "must make contact" types the worst. Of the aluminum cue tapes, I've had the least trouble with Neumade's Acuta II...they come in precut 4" strips and seem to be of high quality as compared to most rolled tape.

For prox cue detectors like Kelmar...just a small piece seems to take the cue everytime (of any cue tape).

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2005 01:05 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve, I must have looked over that. I looked there before I posted too.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2006 12:06 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been experimenting with some cue tapes, and I've yet to find one that works with our fail safes. The only one that we had that worked all the time was the Copper Cue Tape mentioned above. Because our supplier doesn't carry that kind of tape, we have tried Acuta II and 3/16" Automation Cue Tape on a roll. Both work for a while, but then the cues stop after a while. Whether the cue is brand new or 2 weeks old it's hit or miss on if they trip the automantion.

The fail safe is just a typical inboard/outboard, and is only setup with the outboard to read. What cue tapes have you found to be the best cues to use with this kinda reader? The Fail Safe is made by Component Engineering.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-15-2006 12:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it an FM35 failsafe? If so, buy Aucuta II tape ON SHEETS. The pre-cut cues made by Jack Roe are also totally reliable.

This thread makes me even happier that I run CA21s with Kelmar proxy failsafes. Never EVER do they miss! It doesn't matter how many months the print has ran either. [Razz]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-15-2006 09:44 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We "converted" all of our "direct connection" units to the Neumade or Big Sky proximity detectors. Works 100% (and counts up to 8) outputs are momentary relay contacts which can interface anything (Dolby, lights, curtain) directly. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: