Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vitaphone & 70mm at the Heights

Author Topic: Vitaphone & 70mm at the Heights
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 01:48 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starting Friday, September 16th, for one week, the Heights Theatre of Minneapolis will be showing a 70mm Todd-AO print of "Oklahoma!" with a Sunday collection of Vitaphone shorts to follow on Sunday, September 25th. All sales from the Vitaphone show will go to the UCLA Film & Television Archive for Vitaphone restoration purposes.

This is the perfect setting to see both sets of shows, as the Heights is really the last 70mm playhouse alive in the Twin Cities, today. If you get the chance to be in the Twin Cities during the next few weeks, don't pass up the opportunity to make the drive up Central Ave. to see these shows.

www.heightstheater.com

|  IP: Logged

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 04:25 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BRAVO to The Heights Boss

How many others tought about doing something for the aniversary of the real'est thing ?

HipHip [beer]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 06:36 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did I think [Confused] BFF 2005 Todd AO

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also in Karlsruhe, Germany is Todd-AO celebrated over a weekend (7-9 October) with all the new 20th Century Fox 70mm DTS prints - all in original versions.

See: http://www.70mm.info and of course www.in70mm.com

Come and join the excitement

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-17-2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to The Heights! I have very fond memories of last year's AMIA screening night there: a wonderful theatre, friendly people and flawless presentation of what was probably the nightmare show from hell. At a time when most independent and small chain theatres in Britain are shying away from taking a risk with this sort of programming, it's great to know that someone, somewhere is carrying the torch. [thumbsup]

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2005 10:29 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a pic of Leo in the Heights booth during that show!

-

And... a more recent shot...
Me and T.J. Hopland after lugging a 70mm print up the stairs.

-

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2005 08:47 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I was too busy moving my apartment during the Vitaphone shorts, I got out to the Heights to see Follow Thru, a two-color Technicolor feature at 8:00, Sunday night. The print was incredible, some scenes looking clearer than some new releases of late. The restoration had some minute gaps in a few spots, as well as some negative damage, but the print itself was pristine. T.J. had been telling me for the past year that I had to see the theatre, let alone the booth, and I was overwhelmed by the technical and visual opulence of the place. I will add mine to the bravos given to Tom and his crew at the Heights [thumbsup]

BC took some photos at the show, I suspect we will see them soon [Smile]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 09:53 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Careful with that tie in the rewinder Leo [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: