Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Damage when projector is left closed? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Damage when projector is left closed?
Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy film gods. I have 6 Century SA's and one child projectionist who believes leaving the projectors in the closed position overnight is not damaging. What is the exact damage we can look foward to because of this? This is being done on an almost regular basis.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-05-2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, define "closed" Do you mean the gate? If so, is it a single lens or turreted machine?

The general rule on all sprung devices (not just gates) is to leave sprung things in their most relaxed state to minimize them wearing out.

As to the Century gate...if it is a single lens system...I've had more trouble with the closer spring than the tension bands. As such, I leave a single lens Century gate closed overnight...for turrets, I leave em open.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve, single lens. I meant by leaving the pads/rollers down on sprokets and gate engaged. Was always drilled into me that this was kiss of death.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-05-2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pad rollers couldn't care less...the are in a bi-stable arrangement so either open or close are equally non-stressful...the gate, I would leave closed...the SG-14 spring is more likely to wear out faster than the SH-1811 tension bands from being pressured over night. Arguements can and have been made both ways here...I speak from personal experience and preference...you findings may vary.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again. Will put it in the consideration hat.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2005 07:58 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've always left everything in the open position. Never heard the tension reason before, I'd always thought it was a courtesy for the incoming projectionist the next day.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2005 09:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
On most machines, leaving things closed is better. (Christie projectors are the first exception I can think of, as they are happier left open.) Again as Steve said, you want the springs to be relaxed. I have yet to have a problem with gate bands wearing out on ANY machine. This assumes you are keeping your prints properly lubricated though. Theaters that don't will find that not only will their bands wear faster, but their sprockets will get hooked significantly faster.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2005 10:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I have yet to have a problem with gate bands wearing out on ANY machine. This assumes you are keeping your prints properly lubricated though. Theaters that don't will find that not only will their bands wear faster, but their sprockets will get hooked significantly faster.

I'll back up Brad on that statement. Film Guard DOES make a huge difference in preventing gate band wear. Theatres that I service that use FilmGuard never replace bands... well ok, after three or four years of use!! Theatres that don't use it need them every year or sooner. Christie bands are extremely thin and wear even quicker, sometimes needing twice yearly replacement to maintain picture good steadiness and to keep dust levels down.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope Mark, I have NEVER had to change bands in a FG theater. EVER! If you are seeing that at your theaters, then the staff isn't really using the cleaners religiously once you walk out the door. I only see pictures getting steadier as time goes by, regardless of projector model.

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2005 12:15 AM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on our Christie M35GP's we open the gate and the ultramittent shoe.. and leave all the pad rollers closed as those stupid horseshoe springs that break easily are relaxed in that position.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-06-2005 01:14 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey, let's drift over to the Simplex 35, or commonly know as the "XL" head: Trap and Gate open, or closed during the night? Normally, I open the trap and gate, but was wondering on the massive spring that keeps the gate closed to whereas I now keep the gate closed at night. Would it then be the same as the "SL" machine?

Christie - Christie 35 and the P35GPS machines, I always left the gate swung open being no spring pressure to keep it closed.

..and the same with the Cine V5 machines. But closed on the V8's.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-06-2005 04:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got it right Monte.

And yes, the XL - leave it shut.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-06-2005 07:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
If you are seeing that at your theaters, then the staff isn't really using the cleaners religiously once you walk out the door.
Although quite a few locations buy FG I am lucky if they ACTUALLY use it... to much like work ya know for todays kids....

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-06-2005 08:45 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually do keep things Film Guarded religiously at our theater, and come to think of it... you're right, our bands are in excellent shape. I had to replace a couple when I started a few years ago because they had dings on them, but haven't replaced any since. I never put the two together.

For what it's worth, we open everything every night on our Simplex 1050s.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-06-2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the theatres we service we recomend the trap be left closed at night with the trap door removed that way the closure springs are left relaxed and the bands are left with no pressure on them as well
I preffer the pads left open and the pinch roller on the sound drum must be left open

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: