Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamp Ignition Problem

Author Topic: Lamp Ignition Problem
Robert R. Mayer
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Robert R. Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Robert R. Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a problem with my xenon not igniting on the first or second strike...sometimes it will take three or more strikes before the lamp ignites. Once it ignites, however, the arc is good without excessive flicker. This problem occurred with a previous lamp at about 2200 hours, and it's happening with our current lamp at 1900 hours (Osram XBO 1600), so I don't think that the lamp needs replacing. The lamphouse is a Strong Super Lume-X running off of an older (15 years) Strong Power Supply (I can't determine the model at this time). The Power Supply also seems to be taking just a bit too long to re-supply the DC No-Load voltage during ignition. I am led to believe that it's a problem with the power supply, possibly in the capacitors, or the igniter.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts or suggestions on the matter!

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-05-2005 12:20 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a power supply problem, it would show itself by having lower than normal no-load voltage. This varies with the power supply, but less than 80 volts dc is definately bad. To measure, lift any one wire off the small "autostrike board" (located behind a thin metal panel just below the bulb on the rear bulkhead. This prevents the bulb from trying to strike.

Measure the voltage BEFORE you push the manual ignite button. The amp meter is also a voltmeter. Push the red button to read volts. (Note: you may get nothing this way. If you do, remove the red button cap & try again.)

If not the power supply, then look inside the lamphouse for dust or arc overs with the strike voltage. This kind of trouble has been well documented on Film-Tech, so do a search.

BTW: the XBO-1600w/hs is not the world's best bulb in terms of life. It is always possible that "it's only a bad bulb." In this case I would not change the bulb as a first step, since the new bulb might help some and then you would wind up right where you are only with the next bulb.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-06-2005 12:44 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about today, but I used to get good light out of XBO-1600W/HS lamps for at least 3000 to 4000 hours with ample cooling. Never tried them with a switcher though, so maybe that's the difference (along with Osram's overall decline in quality).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: