Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What type of cleaner to use to clean the heads? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What type of cleaner to use to clean the heads?
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2005 11:55 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are your suggestions on what type of cleaner to use to clean the inside of the projector heads? Is there a good spray cleaner to use that would be safe on the paint and plastic parts?

[ 09-01-2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Richard May ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You talking about the projector heads, magnetic heads, optical heads, soundheads..et.al. ?? [Confused]

Please be more specific. thx- Monte

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot me now, Monte. That was pretty dumb. I must have been sleeping. The projector and soundhead is what I meant. Thanks.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do it the old fashioned way a bunch of rags some mineral spirits and some fantastic and the finish up elbow greese

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard:

Back in the day we used to use brake and parts cleaner as its a good degreaser and it evaporates as opposed to drying. I would not suggest spraying directly on/into the head. Rather spray it on a towel and then wipe out the unit. I'm sure there are also some other products to use.
Mike

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, zap a rag with the alcohol and do some serious wiping down, especially the gate runners.

But, some large circuits forbid rubbing alcohol due to the fire/health hazard that rubbing alcohol contains.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-01-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a toothbrush and rag for general cleaning and Q-tips for hard-to-reach spots.

I don't generally use liquids for day-to-day cleaning, but will use the following on an "as-needed" basis: alcohol/lighter fluid/xecote for the gate and trap, naptha for wiping up oil from the exterior of the machine, and windex for the doors. I also use lens cleaner and lens paper for the sound lens.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-01-2005 03:03 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lighter Fluid" often contains naphtha.

When using solvents to clean, be very careful about flammability and personal exposure to the liquid or fumes. Use in a well ventilated area and wear appropriate protective gloves that are impervious to the solvent being used. Most solvents will leach lubricants from bearings, and some may attack painted sufaces or plastics.

For degreasing, cleaners containing D-Limonine (e.g., Simple Green) are often quite effective, and better alternatives for the environment and personal safety.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbon Tet also is a excellent cleaner tobad about the genetic side effects

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-01-2005 03:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbon Tetrachloride: [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/ccl4.html

quote:
According to the NTP 10th Annual Report On Carcinogens carbon tetrachloride is "reasonably anticipated" to be a human carcinogen. Therefore, avoid contact with it whenever possible.
Carbon tetrachloride was formerly used in a wide variety of applications before the carcinogenic hazard was well-known. One such use was as a fire extinguishing agent. Besides the carcinogenic hazard this poses, an additional danger is that carbon tetrachloride can form phosgene gas (Cl2CO, used as a chemical weapon in World War I) when used on electrical fires. If you ever come across a carbon tetrachloride extinguisher dispose of it as a toxic waste and replace the extinguisher with an appropriately selected model.

Carbon tetrachloride was widely used as an industrial solvent before its health hazards were well-known. It is sometimes used as an intermediate (ingredient) in the manufacture of other chemicals, and it has a terrific degreasing ability. This latter property also resulted in its use by the dry cleaning industry in the 20th century, but this practice has long been abandoned.

Regulations and taxes have helped to phase out the widespread use of carbon tetrachloride in most "first world" nations, however you are still likely to encounter carbon tetrachloride in academic and research laboratories.

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/CA/carbon_tetrachloride.html

quote:
Toxicology
This material is a probable carcinogen. Its use must be carefully assessed before work begins in the laboratory. Inhalation and ingestion are harmful, and may be fatal. Irritant. Skin contact may lead to dermatitis. Long-term exposure may lead to kidney or liver damage, CNS disturbance, cancer and damage to eyes, skin and lungs.

http://phyvirtual.nju.edu.cn/material/MSDS/G22.pdf

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it is one of the secret ingredients in Bob Marrs martinis [beer]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Bob does like his Martini's dry;)

As to rubbing alcohol, it should be banned from the booth. I've seen it do MUCH more harm than good. If one must use alcohol for cleaning (and it does have its moments) then use pure Isopropyl Alcohol (anhydrous). At least then you won't leave water behind to rust out the bearings and other metal parts. I've also seen negative affects of rubbing alcohol on various white paints used on projectors.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-02-2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are your preferred cleaning products?

I mostly use mineral spirits, and, sorry to say, rubbing alcohol on some parts.

What is best to use to remove the massive buildup from belt shedding in the soundheads (e.g. 5Star) and Christie gear compartments? Is there a spray which allows you to clean the goo-covered terminals and connections in those compartments without taking the connectors off and without introducing corrosion?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-02-2005 03:22 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbon TET. Now, that was great stuff to clean with (as long as you wore rubber gloves so your liver wouldn't get eaten up with that stuff..), especially when rebuilding carbon feed motors to remove all of that gooey carbon dust from the brushes.

Stuff literally ate up grease whereever it was in contact with CarbonTET. Thus, I used to clean bearings with that stuff then repack with new grease.

Now, we have "SimpleGreen" - next best stuff to CarbonTET and it's very safe to use being water soluable. I use "SimpleGreen" to clean carburetor parts with before rebuild. Then, after getting all greasy from being under the hood or under the car, time for a "SimpleGreen" scrubdown.

I keep a gallon of that stuff at home in two spraybottles, undiluted, and one at work-for the greasy jobs.

SG is great for stripping wax off of floors as well with a floor machine...

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2005 03:57 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a combination of the following for daily/weekly cleanings:
-Isopropyl alchohol when necessary*
-FilmGuard*
-A paint brush, tooth brush, shop towel combo
-Lens cleaner/Lens wipes**
-Q-tips*

There really shouldn't ever be anything in there that needs desolving but in the case that there is, FG usually takes care of it.
The Alchohol is for cleaning rollers and parts of the film path but again, FG is used if it's needed.
We've had no negative side effects with these procedures.

* = Weekly cleanings, usually
** = When necessary

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: