Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » (Christie) SLC 45/70-342

Author Topic: (Christie) SLC 45/70-342
Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2005 03:48 PM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can any one help me out with the above model lamp house.

The problem is when i turn on the Console thje circuit breaker just trips down.

Request to guid me with necessary check list.

Thanks
Peter

|  IP: Logged

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2005 04:41 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Shorted diode
2. Short in transformer

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-27-2005 06:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with the shorted diode. Particularly if there is a delay on when you turn the lamp on, hear the contactor "clunk" and then the breaker seems to lazily turn itself off.

But in any event...start with the diode, it is much more common than the transformer.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-28-2005 12:02 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
little clarification please. When you say you are turning on the console do you mean you are turning the console on or you are striking the lamp. The circuit breaker that is tripping is it on the console or in the wall panel breaker box?

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2005 05:36 AM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just start with the diode, common problem...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-28-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its also possible that the breaker has mechanically failed and just will not hold at the operating current. I've seen this quite a number of times. This is more common where the breaker is also used as a switch. This is a bad thing to do as a breaker is rarely designed to be used as such.

If you do find that its a bad diode then it is best to change ALL of them in any given rectifier. They are all the same age and have been through the same number of thermal cycles et all. You may be just chasing your tail and find that you have a regular rash of diode failures in the same unit unless all are replaced at once. Also look for a mechanically loose stem... this is very common on those cheapo epoxy passivated International Rectifiers diodes that Christie uses. If possible try to find some glass passivated diodes to replace the IR's. The glass passivated units don't suffer the same type of thermal failures that epoxy passivated diodes do.

Mark

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2005 09:38 PM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl Spicer the circuit breaker that was tripping was on the console.

Thanks for all your support, the problem was due to short transformer that step down voltage & gives supply to the zipper.

Thanks once again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: