Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Breakwater Vs. Theater Transit

Author Topic: Breakwater Vs. Theater Transit
Richard Edward Wells III
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Richard Edward Wells III   Email Richard Edward Wells III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just moved to Southern California, and just found out that instead of Theater Transit delivering non-Technicolor movies, that Breakwater does our delivery. Not a big deal until I found out that they deliver at 2-4am. Friday mornings... it is our policy to have a dry on on all movies, and Theater Transit always delivered on Tuesdays, leaving plenty of time to build and run the movies, and we only had to worry about our Technicolor Thursdays... Is there ANY other way to get our movies here other than Breakwater?? This is very aggrivating!!

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-26-2005 08:53 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what ETS exchange services your area? Maybe there are other delivery companies they also work with. Are you on a intercity bus route?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2005 12:16 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was based in Los Angeles. Breakwater handled all the film transportation in the area. But this was before Technicolor and ETS started doing the service. We never had a problem with Breakwater and their delivery schedules. The first run area theatres of Hollywood, Westwood and Beverly Hills got back-up prints for all their openings.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Edward Wells III
Not a big deal until I found out that they deliver at 2-4am. Friday mornings...
Assuming you average three or four new prints per week and probably open your doors sometime around 11:00 AM, conducting dry runs on everything may now be out of the question given your delivery window.

When we had a similar delivery window some years ago, I'd arrive about 6:00 or 7:00 AM to do make-ups, but we hardly ever watched these prints. Perhaps somebody could come in and you might be able to get one or two screened, but not too many people are keen at getting up at dawn to see movies.

John offers the best advise, perhaps mine if there are no other alternatives.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2005 12:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If the studios can't get the prints to you with a reasonable amount of prep time (meaning at the absolute latest early evening the night before), cancel the first show on opening day to check-screen it.

If the studios don't like it, they can pull their heads out of their asses and get the prints to you earlier. NOTHING gets shown to a public audience without a pre-screening.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 04:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least up here the master agrements forbid test screening prints

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-27-2005 07:23 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if he's not pre-screening the prints, it's completely reasonable for him to expect that the film will arrive one day prior to the scheduled engagement. If he doesn't get the film until the day of the show, there is no chance of correcting a problem with a missing, damaged, or defective reel without losing shows. I've received lots of prints within hours (or minutes) of the scheduled showtime; for the most part, there haven't been problems, but it's a risk that I would prefer not to take if possible.

I don't know how far away he is from his local ETS depot, but if it's within driving distance, he should be able to pick up his prints himself (which would save the shipping cost, too).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 07:24 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
At least up here the master agrements forbid test screening prints

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] What is the logic in that? Did exhibitors abuse the practice and let too many potential customers into the check screenings? Is it out of fear of piracy?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 07:33 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full agreement with Scott. In some more detail:

ETS is generally set up to have multiple delivery groups handle delivering their prints. Not only that, by they allow 'WILL CALL' delivery, where you go to the depot and get the prints yourself. You might talk to your local ETS depot, or call the ETS customer service line (800-734-3969) and ask.

Around here, there are two or three local companies that handle deliveries from the ETS depot. Furthermore, ETS is also willing to use shippers like FedEx to deliver prints. This is probably not cost-effective for you, but who knows.

Also, you may find that a local same-day courier/freight service may be intereted in offering specialized film delivery between your area and ETS. It's something you might want to think about and/or talk to other local theatres about.

Lastly, you might find that Breakwater is negotiable on your windows, perhaps a s a function of money or clout or holiday gift packages.

Note, also, that I think pricing structures for these kinds of services are all over the map. Some people pay per-print, others pay a flat monthly fee, etc.

Best of luck.

John P.: I imagine they are attempting to minimize "wear and tear" on prints.

--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 07:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
John P.: I imagine they are attempting to minimize "wear and tear" on prints.
"Wear and tear" for a single test screening where hopefully a skilled person is carefully watching and listening? I'm with Brad that pre-screenings are a good idea to catch problems missed during make-up (e.g., sound sync, wrong language, safelight fogging, etc.). Obviously no one should violate the terms of their master contract, but pre-screenings are in the distributor's and exhibitor's best interest.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I don't know how far away he is from his local ETS depot, but if it's within driving distance, he should be able to pick up his prints himself (which would save the shipping cost, too).

I used to go to our depot (Cincinnati) and pick up our prints (4 theatres at that time). I did save quite a bit of money doing this. The problem was that "will call" prints were given out last . Theory being that will call prints are, in general, closer to the depot.

If the lab was late getting the prints to the depot, which could happen if the studio ordered more prints on monday, we were kind of screwed.

I also was the local film delivery driver for my area for a year and a half. On a routine friday opening, I would get my routes prints on wednesday and have them delivered by thursday morning.

Richard Edward Wells III
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Richard Edward Wells III   Email Richard Edward Wells III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, well... Breakwater said that they don't start their deliveries until the theaters close. Which means everyone on our route gets their prints sometime between 2:00-5:00am. They were not negotiable at all, they simply said that is how they do business. Any way I could find out where the local ETS depot is and how to contact them?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-30-2005 06:32 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the way Breakwater has been doing business for years.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2005 07:09 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The address and phone number of the depot is on the can labels (at least around here).

William Valdes
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2005 11:47 PM      Profile for William Valdes   Email William Valdes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We typically recieve prints during that same time window, as late as 4AM Friday Morning. We schedule projectionists early that morning and we're pretty consistent about pre-screening all prints prior to showtime.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: