Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Flywheel timing belt snapped (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Flywheel timing belt snapped
Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm having a bad day...

At the beginning of a show today a belt snapped on one of my projectors (Simplex 35). It appears to be the timing belt that runs from the projector motor to the flywheel. I'm about to call and order some more right now, and I'm going to do my best to get a tech out here tomorrow, but we've never had a reliable projection tech at this theater (yeah, yeah, I realize that's bad, but it's a long story).

Anyways, what would have caused this? I'm assuming it's just something that happens over time (this belt has been on the projector for at least 1-3 years).

Any advice?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 12:43 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you inspect your belts on a regular basis, looking for wear or physical deterioration? Any obvious wear points or misalignment, seen by belt debris at the wear point? Does the mechanism driven by the broken belt turn freely, without drag or binding?

I'm sure others will chime in asking for more details.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
turn the machine over by hand to make sure it has not siezed up causing the belt to break

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the old belt brittle? Does it have cracks?
Also be conscious of the belt tension. I don't imagine you could do more than stretch it slightly but you'd be more likely to ruin the bearings.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 02:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any fabric and rubber toothed belt will age over time by drying out and getting brittle. The same with our belt in our overhead cam cars-either import or domestic. Reason for mandantory belt replacement at a certain given time.

Simplex belts needs to be inspected at least once weekly, especially the round tooth variety-being that they are much stiffer than the older, thinner flat tooth variety.

If cracks are showing up on the flat outer surface of the belt, time for the changeout. When you get that "tech" out there, have him do a complete machine imspection of all the belts and do the replacement necessary.

(and this goes for the ones who have the Christie 35/P35GPS models as well: mandantory belt checks and changeout every year)

Too bad you don't know how to change one, or both of them out, for it's only a 20 minute to a half hour job to do, if one is trained properly on the procedure and proper tools at hand.

Luckilly, it was the motor belt, not the drive belt, or if it was the other, you'd have a good mess on your hands.

I've done changeouts inbetween showings.

-Monte

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, the flat style "timing belts" for the Simplex 35 can be purchased at any good auto parts supply store. About $12.00 each.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-23-2005 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Simplex belts needs to be inspected at least once weekly, especially the round tooth variety-being that they are much stiffer than the older, thinner flat tooth variety.

If cracks are showing up on the flat outer surface of the belt, time for the changeout. When you get that "tech" out there, have him do a complete machine imspection of all the belts and do the replacement necessary.

Reeally, why piss off customers for the sake of 30 dollars worth of belts. I replace belts every year if the theatre is running all 6 or more shows a day and every two years if running less than that.... Its just not worth loosing a show, refunding or handing out passes, and pissing everyone off including yourself.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 10:51 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about belt dressing? Would that helped improve the belt strength and possibly prevented this?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 11:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belt dressing is usually okey for the "V" belts, but not as well for the toothed belts. "V" belts are made for extreme tightness, whereas the toothed belts can't be run as such. Toothed belts will bust in a heartbeat if run "fanbelt" tight-in as well as being excessively noisy when operating-being so thin.

But, I'm never crazy in "cheating fate" or, "doing things half-assed" - if a belt approaches the need to be changed, do it. Don't crimp on additives to lengthen the life of such items.

-Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-24-2005 07:49 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Belt Dressing" does NOT strengthen a belt or reverse deterioration. It is usually just a solvent that increases the friction against the pulleys to reduce slippage and noise. Using a solvent on a belt may actually hasten deterioration.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-24-2005 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belt dressing usually reduces wear on the pulley itself. At Joe's suggestion I tried Film-Guard on a couple of sets of Christie belts and it does eliminate all belt shedding and doesn't seem to be detrimental to the belts either.....

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-24-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "belt dressings" I was referring to are the aerosol ones containing solvents like naphtha, perchloroethylene, acetone, etc. --- definitely can harm deteriorating belt materials.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-24-2005 12:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
tried Film-Guard on a couple of sets of Christie belts
...LOL...I used to do that continually at the 21 complex that I used to work at - got a noisy belt, just open up the back, turn on the motor, zap FG on moving belts and instant quiet.....until I figured out the proper belt tension on these beasts, then I eventually quit the practice.

When it was time for belt change, those belts that were FG'ed, still had a bit of a rubbery feel instead of being dry-even the shutter belt wasn't all beat up as they are normally after the 6 month usage.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the proper tension on a flat belt on a Simplex 35?

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 04:02 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would help if Strong actually made a guide booklet for doing this work. I had to use Monte as a guide writer for my instructions (thanks bro!).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: