Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do you identify which reel film belongs to?

Author Topic: How do you identify which reel film belongs to?
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2005 09:11 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am currently cleaning out a lot of film I received and i have a few questions. A few of the films have a small bundle or "bad film" and I was wondering if there is a way to try to figure out what reel this came from. I have the print, but I would like to try to find which reel it came from. Is there a way to use the numbers on the bottom of the Kodak film?

Thanks,
cody

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
The magenta Kodak edgeprint ID provides another way of positively matching the leader to the proper reel. Each 4000-foot or 6000-foot roll of raw stock Kodak supplies to the labs has a UNIQUE edgeprint identification number, printed about every three feet along the edge of the film (you can see examples in Brad's photos of Reel 3/2 and Reel 4/3 splices). Check the magenta edgeprint of the leader and the reel, and be sure the entire number matches.

Usually, the lab uses only one or two emulsion batches for a release, so the first two sets of numbers will likely remain the same (e.g., 2383 353). But the following numbers refer to the roll, slit and machines used, and will be unique on every roll used by the lab.

Film Handling Done Very Very Right

EDIT: A lot of other film manufacturers use edge printing to some degree as well.
It shouldn't be too bad however, just a little time consuming.
Good luck.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 08:14 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an added note that if there is a lab splice, two different rolls of raw stock were used by the lab for that reel, and the numbers will be different on each side of the lab splice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: