Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to make a sail switch from scratch.

Author Topic: How to make a sail switch from scratch.
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've completed (finally) the Grainger blower upgrade to my Kniesley lamphouses. These lamphouses have never had sail switches in their life.
What's the recommeneded parts to make one or is there an off the shelf part that will retrofit? Recommendations apprectiated.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get the replacement sail switch kit from Christie for the CH console it would work out just fine. Includes the bracket, sail, switch and insulating conver. I have them out in the van but I don't attempt to remember Christie part numbers. Just drill a hole large enough for the sail to stick though into the exhaust pipe and you won't loose the sail!!

Mark

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by sail switch, I'm susiming you're talking about the wind vane switch at the top of the lamphouse at the mouth of the exhuast ducting?

We had a run of them that would break, getting sucked up and out the exhuast tube.. I rigged up some alum. foil and used twist ties to hold it in place until the spares arrived. WOrked like a champ...and the shows continued to run..

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-21-2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honeywell used to sell one and that used a tube connected to the duct

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2005 03:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Honeywell used to sell one and that used a tube connected to the duct

Thats also available as a replacement part from Christie. Its used in the older 3 and 4kw lamphouses and consoles.

Mark

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've cut up empty beer cans and gotten pretty good results.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 08:30 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-22-2005 10:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go easy on the beer Brad [beer] .... one beer can should be good for at least a dozen sails [Wink] .

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 05:03 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I tend to make lots of mistakes with tin snips. [Big Grin] [beer] [beer] [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: