Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » da20 error display question

Author Topic: da20 error display question
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 03:46 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so we were running another one of those lovely trailers with an srd track consisting of silence (tony takitani this time). when it played, the da20 would display the error rate numerals as normal, except that the bottom horizontal led segment of the "8" would flash on and off, while the other 6 segments would comprise the numeral as usual. this happened on both a flat and a scope version of this trailer.

i couldn't find any mention of this flashing led segment in the da20 installation or user manual. am i correct in assuming that this is something that happens with a silent srd track? but why then haven't i noticed it in other instances of silence, like during the ratings band of a trailer?

carl

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-20-2005 05:01 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your normal error rate is 8? Hmmm...

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 05:08 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
err, no. i don't think i've ever even seen it hit 8. i was just indicating the layout of the led segments, what it would read if they were all on.

carl

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 01:51 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have another DA20 in the booth, swap the Cat 673 card (the one with the error display) and see what happens.

The fact that you have no sound is strange... there was a problem years ago with molex connector pins burning on the power supply connector and consequently causing the 5.0 volt rail to drop. This resulted in some strange things (including no auido). Measure the 5 volt rail with a digital volt meter on the test points located on the Cat 670 card. If it's below 4.84 volts (or so), then you probably have this particular "molex" problem.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case it's still unclear, I believe Carl is saying he sees a flashing underscore.

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-20-2005 07:42 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken; we had a good number of older DA-20's that had the reboot circuit voltage set too low. If power was interupted and the rails dipped sound would stop and the system would not reboot. Apparently wrong value of zener diode was used in production error. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-20-2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
we had a good number of older DA-20's that had the reboot circuit voltage set too low. If power was interupted and the rails dipped sound would stop and the system would not reboot. Apparently wrong value of zener diode was used in production error. Louis

I believe it was these power supplies that Lonnie Jennings traveled all around and changed out at N/C to the theatre owners.... So there shouldn't be many if any of them still out there. To cure the Molex problem the best cure is to eliminate the Molex all together amnd solder the harness dorectly to the P.S., I've even seen failures of the three sided molex pins in the later style connectors.... I always say that any connector present in any system is just another time bomb waiting to happen.

Mark

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 11:27 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there was a problem with the original style Molex female connector pins. The original style mated only with one side of the square male pins of the power supply. They would tend to burn up after years of use. Then we switched to a female connector that would mate 3 sides to the connector pin and thus distribute the current better. When I've seen this problem in the field, I've generally soldered directly to the pins.

If the problem is a flashing error display segment, then I would still suggest to try and replace the Cat 673 card itself.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 06:14 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ken, there's no functional problem with the da20. there was no sound because the srd track on this trailer consisted of silence (it happens).

i take it then that the "blinking underscore" on the error display is not a design feature?

sorry, i can't go digging into the innards of the da20, or i will have my own innards dug into.

carl

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2005 04:50 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, different trailer with a silent srd track ("dear wendy" this time), played on a much newer da20, same result: flashing led segment in the error display. it sure looks like an underpublicized feature of the da20.

carl

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-05-2005 09:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to reall seening this blinking underscore on some Dolby snipes (Train, City...etc).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: