Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How many theatres still have more than one projectionist? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: How many theatres still have more than one projectionist?
JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 01:22 PM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious how many theatres out there still run more than one projectionist at a time--not including over-lapping shifts. It shocks me when I find 20+ screen theatres with one poor sap running his or her butt off trying to thread film and start projectors on time. Does this even exist anymore?

Edit: And I'm speaking more in terms of multi's, not specialized screening rooms, IMAX or Omni and such.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-17-2005 01:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two people in the booth on Thursdays: One runs the shows, the other does all the building up and breaking down.

-Aaron

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 01:57 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one projectionist here. 16 houses. There are 2 people onboard thursdays, one to run the projectors, one to make up movies. I think it depends on the booth layout. I know of a few muiltiplexes that have several small booths instead of one large booth. In that instance, I could see needing maybe 2 people, but with one big booth, I dont think more than one projectionist is necessary.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LHM's Gateway 12 in SLC has a full crew of operators since they run full time. Four guys, including the booth manager, rolls the shifts. Mgmt people don't deal with the upstairs-they've got better and more important things to do downstairs.

When I was booth manager at a 21, I had five employees under me. We took care of upstairs and the mgmt personnel took care of downstairs.

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 04:08 PM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

I worked in a theatre with two separate buildings when I worked at . Three projectors in one and 8 in the other. We only had one projectionist, although Management was projection trained and could help start films if you had be in the other building. Har Mar 11 in Minnesota. It could certainly be done, but when problems arose, if you were in the other building, they could quickly get out of hand, like a brain wrap.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 04:39 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the states 1 or 2 projectionist will run a 16 + screens....now in Japan things are different...a 16-screen will have 8-projectionist on duty at any given time, a 12-screen will have 6-projectionist on duty...go figure !! But I will say for the Japanese projectionist, they keep their machines & booth spotless, it is so clean you could eat your dinner off those machine, I been in booths over there that is 10 years old & you would never know it by looking at their clean machines & booth, it looks brand new....I wish all USA booths were kept this way..

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 05:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Sneed
...I wish all USA booths were kept this way..

..the same reason that Japanese automobiles are far superior than the US built ones...

That country has what some other countries try to have, or just don't want to talk about it, and that is called -> PRIDE and CARING about their employees.

I've owned 8 Japanese vehicles (5 of them Toyotas) in my lifetime and you can see the quality in these..(and I now own a Suzuki wagon...6 yrs running and has never been in the shop..)

quote: JC Cowles
It could certainly be done, but when problems arose, if you were in the other building, they could quickly get out of hand, like a brain wrap.

Place like that should invest into wrap detectors for their platters to minimize this potiental hazard being that the workforce is stretched out to the max.

-Monte

Heath Dutton
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 08:18 PM      Profile for Heath Dutton   Email Heath Dutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, 16 screens here...

We typically have only one person running the set.

On Thursdays we have up to 4 projectionists here at the same time (2-3 building while one runs the set, or two running half the set while building, all depending on how many prints we are to receive).

On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during the hours of 3-9 (peak hours) we will have a second projectionist so that the set can be split in two. This is just for insurance (if a technical difficulty occurs one can handle the problem while the other runs the set).

I would like to have two here at all times, but the company wouldn't have it.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 08:37 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6 projectionists for 12 projectors? Thats rediculous. I admit 1 projectionist for 16 screens is bad, but cmon, theres gotta be a nice medium there somewhere.

Will Wheatley Uhl
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Will Wheatley Uhl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thread all ten houses myself....
I buildup and break down every print...
Im the only one who said, "Clear splicing tape is better than white"...
Im the only one cleaning everything...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
but cmon, theres gotta be a nice medium there somewhere.
Them Japanese have the bucks to do this. Plus, they have a reputation of quality to uphold and they're going to do it no matter what.

...I like to see the US entertainment market try to keep up with this...

-Monte

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 10:39 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theres NO WAY theaters in the US would even try this. In my opinion, it is overkill. You could cut that number (of japanese workers to projectors) in half and still have overkill. Overstaffing doesnt breed quality. I own an american car and have had tremendous luck...I have had friends that owned japanese cars that turn out to be crap. So its all relative I spose. If they have the money to waste and (most likely) a surplus of people to fill the spots...then fine. Gotta wonder what a group like that gets paid, and how much popcorn (or sushi) would run at the concession stand. They gotta pay for those workers somehow.

Terry Velandra
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2005 12:21 AM      Profile for Terry Velandra   Email Terry Velandra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15 Screens, Two Booths, one projectionist expect for Thursday where there is two, one in each booth.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-18-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, you have to realize that in Japan, entertainment is the extreme norm of activity and theatre business ranks on top in that catagory. People hit the cinemas in throngs, spend the Yen up the hoosegow over there in Aisa and they don't care how much it costs to get in to see a movie - one of the main reasons that studios over here release a movie that rather stinks over here, but will kill overseas, especially in the Asian countries.

Those people demand quality and will easily pay for such a commodity, thus the proprietors will ensure such a return to the customer-even if it requires the 8 operators for a 16 screen cinema.

And the proprietor will expect such care on the equipment and surroundings to ensure the longetivity of such, since most of the equipment and parts has to come from overseas.

In the olden days when some of the operators belonged to the IA, there were two operators in a single house booth in large venue houses in the large cities and this was a required arrangement.

Operators, wearing white shirts and ties-being of the professional nature, and being dressed up was deemed professional to follow the job/career.

But back then, nitrate was the norm-safety on occasion, B/W was commonly seen on the screen with a spattering of Technicolor releases, the economy was pennies to live on, no such thing as a TV set, let alone DVD, and people loved to get out to watch a movie-the easiest form of entertainment to attend and spend less than 10 bucks, which included dinner afterwards.

Time marches on....and so does changes.

-Monte

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2005 12:41 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
I have had friends that owned japanese cars that turn out to be crap. So its all relative I spose.
That might be your experience, but surveys consistently show that Japanese cars are far superior to American cars. Open up the annual Auto issue of Consumer Reports and read the repair charts - there is no comparison. The worst of the Japanese cars usually have better repair records than the best of the American cars.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: