Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Silver Screen and 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Silver Screen and 3D
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the benefits, drawbacks of this?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to do 3d with polarization then there is no option but a silver screen
other advantages
brighter image
more contrast
disadvantages
Hot spot due to gain
poorer viewing angle

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the surface marks easily, and is difficult to clean.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 04:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High gain screens should be properly curved, ideally using ray tracing, to reflect the light back to the center of the audience. This usually gives the best illumination uniformity.

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be clear: To run Polaroid 3-D (over/under, side/side, or interlock), you MUST have a silver screen. This is not "optional"; it's mandatory. A non silver screen de-polarizes the light, therefore, no 3-D.

Jeff

Heath Dutton
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 12:56 PM      Profile for Heath Dutton   Email Heath Dutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my stupid question for the day...

How is a silver screen made? Does it actually contain silver, or is it just colored that way for a higher reflection clarity? Or is there something special in it that prevents the depolarizing?

Sean Goodrich
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 07:00 PM      Profile for Sean Goodrich   Email Sean Goodrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Silver screens be necessary for digital 3D

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-20-2005 07:09 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the technology used; if it relys on different polarisation angles of light to separate the left and right eye images, then yes. There are several other ways of projecting 3-D, but the polarised one is probably the best we have at the moment.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 08:21 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those 3d digital sytems that use lcd shutter glasses can use a matt white screen. The demos at Showest and LFCA earlier this year used this system.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-25-2005 08:07 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, the LCD system does cut down the light that actually gets to the eye (the lenses in there "opened" state are by no means zero light loss) so the light gain that a silver screen would give in an LCD 3D system wouldn't be a useless throw-away.

The original CinemaScope "Miracle Mirror" screen was a silver surface screen. It was part of the Fox specification for their new system and it was necessary because of the loss of light through the anamorphic lenses. It was a curved silver screen (the curve that John pointed out was also part of the CinemaScope spec and needed as he said to redirect light evenly back to the audience), but besides the curve, the one thing that distinguishes it from today's silver screens and all but eliminated the dreaded "hot spot" that is associated with and has given a bad name to silver screens, was that the Miracle Mirror screen was a lenticular surface as opposed to a purely flat silver surface.

Although I have asked techs at both Harkness and Technicote what the difference is between a lenticular silver and the flat silver screens they use today, I have not ever gotten an explanation that I can understand. I was told that lenticular silver screens are more expensive to produce. But the reason that they are no longer manufactured is because with the advent of high power xenon lamps, there is not enough demand for a very expensive high gain, no hotspot screen when you can use a much cheaper matte screen and just up your lamphouse light output.

Seems to me, if someone were to make a lenticular silver screen, it would be a perfect surface for a venue that wanted to run 3D on occasion but without compromising 2D presentation by introducing hotspots. It would allow either getting more light for standard 2D films or save $$$ by being able to reduce lamp size. Either way, it would be a plus.

Any screen manufacturers reading this?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-25-2005 08:51 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hurley has silver lenticular and I think Technikote could produce as well. Based on pricing on Hurley standard silver versus silver lenticular is about 30% more.....heads up on cost concious purchasers....ask and pay, the manufacturers will be happy to supply [Razz] The lenticular material is usually fabric backed so it is a bear to install [Wink]

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2005 08:59 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This discussion takes me back a few years. Some of the theatres we leased back in the early 90's had white screens that had been spray painted silver during the 80's 3D craze. Talking about hot spots and streaking.....had to replace 'em all. The first mistake I made was hiring a crew from Texas to attempt to clean those hand sprayed silver screens. What a disaster [thumbsdown]
Still living and learning.

Don

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-25-2005 09:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, that's good to know. When I spoke with Technikote they didn't have a lenticular screen, and what they can't sell you, they don't want to talk about. I never spoke to Hurley, but if they are now selling a lenticular, I would be very interested in considering it. I would love to do double projection 3D and get better light from my carbons for regular presentation. I won't be able to get a curve tho. The screen flys.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-25-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemecanica used to make an excellent silver lenticular screen don't know if they still do

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-25-2005 01:58 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another quality of lenticulars is that they reject off-axis light. Lenticulars are often spec'd for rooms that are difficult to darken sufficiently, like some classrooms or conference rooms. They produce acceptable images in situations where other screen surfaces would wash out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: