Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Storage of Cinema Screens

Author Topic: Storage of Cinema Screens
Neil Walker
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Neil Walker   Email Neil Walker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Just wanting to find out the best way to store a couple of cinema screens until I have a venue. They are Harkness Perlux 180.
Thanks
Neil

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you buy a new screen, it comes rolled on a tube with tissue paper covering the front, and slid into a larger tube. I assume you could store it that way (rolled) too. Just don't roll it too tight. I'm not sure whether it should be stored lying down, or vertically or if that makes any difference.

Whatever you do, don't fold it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-16-2005 06:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some manufactures ship certain screens folded
It is important that they don't freeze or get to hot or damp

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-16-2005 07:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only certain Matte White screens can be folded. NEVER fold a coated gain type screen of any type. Storge at 70 deg f. or there about is reccomended until it is hung.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 08:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most pearlescent screens I get nowdays are folded

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 09:03 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally small to middle sized screens, coated and uncoated, from Harknesss, M.D.I.,Cinemeccanica and our company come folded. USA style screens such as Technikote and Hurley with a thicker PVC fabric come rolled. Harkness 180 is an excellent high gain screen but because of this higher gain it is more prone to experience damage the longer it is in storage. If the unit is in the original factory box, I would not personally have it stored for more than six months under ideal "air conditioned" storage and box not stacked vertical or with other items on top. The coating is damaged by heat and humidity and long term storage introduces creases as the PVC ages that are hard to relax.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-17-2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica makes screens? Do they shake a lot? [Razz]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 09:35 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
Cinemeccanica makes screens? Do they shake a lot?

Yeah, but if you use their projector, you cant tell [Wink]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica = Matte and Sunnyscreen FX. In their four story projector facility in Milan the screen painting is done with the screen traveling vertically on a track between floors....a sight to see [Cool]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-17-2005 09:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys can install all the folded up screens you want to but there is something about them that just never seems to look right after they are hung..... Rolled is really the only way to go with coated surfaces, especially when stored for any length of time. Harkness also specifies not to store a folded screen for no longer than necessary!! That theory would wisely apply to other manufacturers as well.

Mark

Trevor Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 01:05 AM      Profile for Trevor Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harkness screens generally come folded in half on a thick cardboard tube with a protective layer against the painted surface. Cinemeccanica screens come folded up in a cardboard box and the creases take quite a long time to 'drop out' after installation. Stewart screens I have seen come rolled full length on a tube.
I have had a Harkness screen in storage folded in half with the original protective sheeting for quite a while and took it out recently to cut a smaller screen from it. The small screen I cut still has a lot of creases after a couple of months.
The manufacturers obviously expect their screens to be installed and tensioned only a few days after manufacture.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-25-2005 08:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Harkness also specifies not to store a folded screen for no longer than necessary!!
Well, "necessary" is a particularly scientific measurment, is it?! I mean, I can think of lots of things that could make it "necessary" for me to put off getting up on a Genie to futz around hanging a screen...heh heh.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: